How old should baby be before you go away without her?

purdy

the flip side is.

a 5 yr old will miss their mum/dad and cry

a 13 month old doesnt give a damn where it is as long as its clean/dry/fed/warm etc.

very to the point . . . but as you say a 13 month old or younger wont realise they have been left and they will in fact know that the person hugging them in the night is a familiar face/voice and so they will then become used to this person more and not always want to be with mum/dad

I leave my daughter with her grandparents one night a month to get some "me" time.

I agree with all those saying it's healthier for the child, too, as the child won't grow up with attachment issues because of being with one person and one person only their whole life.

To the OP, try doing what others have suggested, try a night or two at first, and then see how it goes.

It's not like she'll be with strangers, and as long as she's fed, cuddled, happy, clean... She'll be fine.

To those saying it's a 24/7/365 job... Are you saying I'm a bad mother for having a job and leaving my 5 month old with my mother in the afternoons while I work? Or would you rather me be sat on my backside watching jeremy kyle taking benefits out of the system, thus making YOU pay more taxes?

And every parent needs one night off every once in a while, it's a very demanding job, and it's emotionally, financially and physically stressful. If you don't release that stress somehow... it's gonna get to you. And in worst case scenarios it's the child that is punished.

So seriously, think about what you say, and then think again, and then just don't say it.

As a mother of three, my advice is to go and enjoy your holiday.

If the baby isn't breastfeeding and is settled with her garandparents and the said GP's are happy to have her to stay - things will be fine. Take your mobile and check on her every evening, if you like, but having a baby is hard going. You will be happier for the break, which will benefit your baby and the grandparents will sleep it off when you get back home.

My mother looked after my youngest when he was six months old for a week - it was fine. Enjoy your holiday with a clear conscience.

so Xenia and Grayface- you think that beacuse someone has children they arent entitled to some 'me' time....i guess its a matter of opinion, and i know i dont have children but as mentioned my neices/nephews often spent the night at my mums when they were babies to allow them to have some time to themsleves/go out/watch a film etc.

Since moving to Sheffield I often have one of my brothers 3 children staying 9/5/3 yrs and they all look forward to it (including the 3 yr old) asking when it's there turn to stay with aunty HTM

I dont think they have issues with the OP leaving their baby for a few hours or even as a rare occasion overnight for some 'me' time. Its great for mum and baby to get 'me' time as its healthier for both. What they, as do i, have issues with is going on a bloody holiday assumingly for 1/2 weeks! I couldnt go for that long and leave a baby. My need to be close enough if something happened would far outweight my need for a week or 2 away! If you dont feel like 1 night is enough why not go for a weekend away in the uk. That way its a bit more than just a few hours but you can still get back here if you need to.

How old should a baby be before it is OK to leave her with her grandparents whilst you take a holiday?

I really need a break. I have a baby who will be 13 months old when I'm thinking of going away. I would feel guilty about leaving her behind, but I would also feel guilty about taking her away.

Her grandparents are happy to look after her, but I've never been out of her sight for more than a few hours before and wonder whether I would even enjoy my holiday.

Has anyone on here any experiences to share?

Just worry about yourself, sod the baby.:rant:

Archived