Record store day tommorow (November 25th)

I really miss record shops and in particular going to a town I hadn't been to before and checking out the local ones. I'm afraid it's about the only type of shopping that ever really interested me but they've been in decline for a long time. I remember in the early nineties, the big retailers such as HMV and Virgin and Woolworths did their bit to try to kill off vinyl and CD only shops just weren't the same.

Now even London is not much good for record and cd shopping now, so many shops having closed. Much as I enjoyed visiting the shops, as someone who buys a lot of music, it was making little sense to keep buying from the stores c.2002-2003 when the same things could be bought from online only sources - who have the unfair advantage of lower overheads - for far less cash. From 2004 nearly all of my vinyl and cd purchases have come from UK, US, Jamaican, German and Japanese based web sites and Amazon and eBay sellers.

I really miss record shops and in particular going to a town I hadn't been to before and checking out the local ones. I'm afraid it's about the only type of shopping that ever really interested me but they've been in decline for a long time. I remember in the early nineties, the big retailers such as HMV and Virgin and Woolworths did their bit to try to kill off vinyl and CD only shops just weren't the same.

Now even London is not much good for record and cd shopping now, so many shops having closed. Much as I enjoyed visiting the shops, as someone who buys a lot of music, it was making little sense to keep buying from the stores c.2002-2003 when the same things could be bought from online only sources - who have the unfair advantage of lower overheads - for far less cash. From 2004 nearly all of my vinyl and cd purchases have come from UK, US, Jamaican, German and Japanese based web sites and Amazon and eBay sellers.

Yep, feel exactly the same. growing up in the '80's town was full of 'em! Bradleys on the Fargate, Chapel Walk, the Moor, Valances on Chapel Walk, Virgin at Moorfoot, HMV, Amazing Records on Cambidge St, WHSmiths on Fargate + many more and some of the department stores like Boots, Coop etc

also had record departments! Shopping just ain't what it was!

Yep, feel exactly the same. growing up in the '80's town was full of 'em! Bradleys on the Fargate, Chapel Walk, the Moor, Valances on Chapel Walk, Virgin at Moorfoot, HMV, Amazing Records on Cambidge St, WHSmiths on Fargate + many more and some of the department stores like Boots, Coop etc

also had record departments! Shopping just ain't what it was!

ooh remember all them :)

specially amazing where i bought my first two punk 7"s

crass - reality asylum

gbh - sick boy

Not too long ago Virgin (or was when it'd been taken over by Zavvi?) seemed to have a fairly decent amount of vinyl, and HMV in town also stocked it until perhaps a couple of years ago - it wasn't much but it's surprising they had any. Of course there's no sign of it now at the back of the store where it once was. You can buy a Twilight poster instead though :|

Archived