Driving Instructors Advice

My Grandson who is 17 has had 5 driving lessons, he has not been in traffic or got out of second gear, he has just driven around the Base Green housing estate. My question is, is this typical progress? or am I out of touch, I am retired and I passed my test in 1965 after having had lessons at the Jack Claire school or motoring, I remember being in traffic very early in my lessons, I know traffic was different then but should he continue with his current instructor or look elswhere? any advice welcome.

Driving instructors have a differant approach depending on the pupil and the location, some instructors like to get junctions to a good standard and then widen the drive. Pupils learn a lot with junctions, where as driving along a dual carriage way in lets say fourth gear in a straight line, is simple compared to dealing with clutch control on an uphill give way.

If your grandson lives near Base Green then that may be the reason for doing his lesson in that particular area. If your grandson is travelling a long way just to drive at Base Green, then I can understand your concern. You could always ask the instructor if its ok if you sit in the back of your grandson's lesson (that's if your grandson is happy to have an observer in the lesson).

Hope this helps.

It does sound a bit slow. I am still learning- have my test in 4 weeks, but my instructor took me straight out onto roads/upto 3rd gear. 5 lessons seem excessive to not be doing anything. Ive just looked back at my lesson book for my 5th lesson, we went out to chatsworth- and I was ridiculously nervous

Have a look at Horizon School of Motoring. Would completely recommend if you are thinking of changing

My first reaction was, what's going on? but newstar's post has made me think again.

good points Newstar.

I learned to drive with Booth and Fisher and they took me from Eckington to Worksop on every lesson. That was a bit more entertaining than Basegreen - but I suspect it is down to the driver and conditions that they need to master first.

Thanks Derby.

I wouldn't change instructors just yet, find out a bit more about your gradson is getting on. You might have a very good instructor who building on the basics, then all of a sudden, you will see big changes when he comes out on the bigger road because his basics are solid.

Whilst I agree with Newstar that everyone has their own approach, not having been out of second gear after 5 lessons does seem strange.

Having said that, everyone learns at different rates and perhaps the instructor doesn't feel confident enough with his progress to let him loose with a lot of traffic. Having said that, there are many places around Base Green where he could be taken without too much trouble.

As has been suggested, see if you can sit in to see what is going on.

Archived