Made in sheffield

travelbore

Naturally we all know that the city is built on industry and manufacturing, with most of these companies now long gone or owned by foreign consortiums, I would like the memories of the types of things that were, and are still, made in Sheffield.

Back in the days when I worked at Laycock Engineering, they had 3 factory sites in the Millhouses/Heeley area, manufacturing clutches, overdrive units and garage equipment. I also worked at Jacobs manufacturing who made the 'Jacobs chuck' amongst other things.

Come on Jim , lets be knowing that sounds like a good story.

There wasn't much of a queue outside the Mojo (I was in it though) and Stringbean came outside and told us there'd been a power failure and said something about trying to run a line from the house to the club. Bo Diddley, complete with sun glasses, and that well built bird that was in his backing group turned up in a big American car and Stringy went to speak to him. After a few minutes the car went and Stringfellow told us the show was off.

I didn't find out what had really happened until I read his book. There was nowt wrong with the leccy. He just thought he was going to lose money on the night, tight arse.

At least I can say I saw Bo Diddley. Where did you see him?

There wasn't much of a queue outside the Mojo (I was in it though) and Stringbean came outside and told us there'd been a power failure and said something about trying to run a line from the house to the club. Bo Diddley, complete with sun glasses, and that well built bird that was in his backing group turned up in a big American car and Stringy went to speak to him. After a few minutes the car went and Stringfellow told us the show was off.

I didn't find out what had really happened until I read his book. There was nowt wrong with the leccy. He just thought he was going to lose money on the night, tight arse.

At least I can say I saw Bo Diddley. Where did you see him?

Freddie Laker once flew me to L.A. for about £50 .

I stayed in the crapist hotel you can imagine .This Hotel had the crapist bar you can imagine and one night i was sat there when this guy came in and started fiddling with some contraption strapped to his belt , i being a nosey sod was intrigued by this and asked him what he was doing.

He replied that! I'm listening to my music man !

Straight away in my poshest de da i said , who ar tha then, and he replied , i'm Bo Diddley ,Well i had heard of him and was not overly impressed but we did sit there for a couple of hours and had a laugh and that's when he said , that's a helluva accent you've got there.

The thing he had strapped to his waist was a Sony Walkman i had never seen one before and he let me listen to it.

Just found this thread about things made in Sheffield. Apart from the obvious steel and metal work there have been and still have lots of things made here. Items of national significance like Bassetts allsorts, to more modern items like Yorkshire crisps. I also recently heard that Tinsley wire make wire crates for the army that are filled with rocks and placed outside foreign bases to stop vehicles filled with explosives driving at them.

Its because of all of these things that we had some bags made that we sell at our units in the Nichols building and the Sheffield emporium, they say 'MADE IN SHEFFIELD’ on them. They will also be sold at this weekend’s Christmas fair at the Nichols building on Sunday. see our blog, we have a picture of them.

http://bit.ly/s06k92

I have found a good one that some people may not know about. The forth rail bridge was 'made in sheffiled'!!!!!

Naturally the actual bridge wasnt made here and carried upto Edinburgh but the chief engineer Sir John Fowler was born in Sheffield, in fact in Wadsley and he build the forth bridge. He also build a train called Fowlers Ghost that was the first fireless steam locamotive, this was later developed by Robertr Stevenson.

Thats good isnt it?

Archived