£1bn scheme to help young jobless..BUT..

I have been told today that this isn't even a new scheme. It is the same thing that has been running under a different name for a while now. The government have just renamed it and relaunched it to make it look like they are doing something.

Apparently.

You're nearly right. It was called the Future Jobs Fund that Labour set up in early 2010. It was axed by the Coalition as it was deemed too expensive. It's interesting to see that it's effectively been resurected under a different name. If it was too expensive to run last year, why isn't it deemed so now? We're talking about 1 billion of extra funding that has just magically been found.

That's true I went to the steel works at Port Tolbut in Wales and that place is massive apparently there was up to 10 thousand men worked there at one time,there is about 150 work there now,they said to me that it takes them 1 hour to make the same amount of steel that it took them a week to make before the plant was modernized a few years ago, there used to be hundreds of apprenticeships going there for young people,same sort of thing has happened here in Sheffield,I can remember all them men coming out of the factory's down

Brightside at 5 o'clock,what have we got there now apart from Medowhall I dont think there will be any apprenticeships or and training going on there for young people, probably a few cheap labour jobs to do.

to me this is a stupid idea..........as usual

Businesses just use these schemes for the quick cash, theyre not going to keep somebody on after their 6 months is up, they will ditch and get another one and some more cash.

its like the schemes i used to be on, "get off the dole" for 6 months to a year, even tho you wasnt actually off the dole. once your time was up you went back on the dole again full time and the scheme / business got another one in with all the funding to go with it

and IF other tax credits / benefits are cut to pay for it?..................well........

:rant:

I do agree something should be done but this is completely the wrong way of doing it. the youth oppertunity programme turned in the Youth Oppertunity Scheme, because it didnt work out they went from a placement being 3 months, then they put it up to 6 months then 12 months, the youths that did the placement got an extra £10 on top of there benifit to do it. think they got £25 a week on benefits then, so they got £35 a week for doing the placement!! 40 hours a weeks it was slave labour, It was only the companies that benefited, they just used the free labour for a year. I went on one at kiveton colliery in the offices, even at the interview i was told there was no job at the end of it, they would just replace me!!! It appears to me that its a way of the taxpayer covering up the jobless figures!!!!

Very true. Years ago under Thatcher they had YOP schemes, the youth went on painting and decorating courses to lower unemployment figures.

They would just paint walls with no knowledge of colour schemes or anything.

Just a way to shift the youth from the unemployment list for 12 months, a complete waste of time.

That's true I went to the steel works at Port Tolbut in Wales and that place is massive apparently there was up to 10 thousand men worked there at one time,there is about 150 work there now,they said to me that it takes them 1 hour to make the same amount of steel that it took them a week to make before the plant was modernized a few years ago, there used to be hundreds of apprenticeships going there for young people,same sort of thing has happened here in Sheffield,I can remember all them men coming out of the factory's down

Brightside at 5 o'clock,what have we got there now apart from Medowhall I dont think there will be any apprenticeships or and training going on there for young people, probably a few cheap labour jobs to do.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/20/spain-benalup-unemployment-euro-crisis?newsfeed=true

"Many got into debt when times were good, buying houses and cars and starting families," says Ricardo Jiménez, who runs the local branch of the Catholic charity Caritas. "Families are very close and help one another out, but we already help 80 families and more come every month. Some are asking for help to feed their babies," he said. That means almost 5% of the town needs church handouts.

Others are handed money by the town hall or given whatever jobs local politicians can invent. "If we have to dig a ditch we do it by hand, rather than with a digger, because that way we employ more people," said councillor Manuel Moguel.

When Luis Moreno, 23, left school five years ago there was no need to worry about finding a job. All you had to do was walk on to a building site. "It was very simple," he says.

Archived