Do you know the difference between a Pelican and Puffin crossing?

A Puffin Crossing is where the green man is on the same box as the button. A Pelician Crossing is where the green man is on the opposite side on the road.A Toucan Crossing is where as well as the crossing function it also acts as a set of traffic lights(eg Two functions).

Is that double crossing?

A Puffin Crossing is where the green man is on the same box as the button. A Pelician Crossing is where the green man is on the opposite side on the road.A Toucan Crossing is where as well as the crossing function it also acts as a set of traffic lights(eg Two functions).

That's good that Lenny - we are getting closer now on the Puffin.

If I said the Puffin is more "intelligent" that might help?

That's good that Lenny - we are getting closer now on the Puffin.

If I said the Puffin is more "intelligent" that might help?

I'm going to say that the difference between the two is that a puffin crossing has sensors to detect when someone is waiting to cross (so it cancels the traffic stop sequence if they have already crossed). Also the sensors help keep the lights on red if someone is taking along time to get across the road. An example of these are the 2 crossings outside Sheffield railway station because an old person would take a long time to cross such a wide road.

The sensors can be seen on top of the light in this image.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/images/thumb/0/0f/Irish_Puffin_crossing,_South_Dublin_-_Coppermine_-_10446.jpg/170px-Irish_Puffin_crossing,_South_Dublin_-_Coppermine_-_10446.jpg

What's the difference? One is designated for Pelicans and the other for Puffins. Obviously, there are slight differences in design to accommodate each species and their differing beaks. I never did understand why a bird would want a crossing, when they simply could fly over the traffic. However, I would understand if it was a Penguin crossing etc.

What's the difference? One is designated for Pelicans and the other for Puffins. Obviously, there are slight differences in design to accommodate each species and their differing beaks. I never did understand why a bird would want a crossing, when they simply could fly over the traffic. However, I would understand if it was a Penguin crossing etc.

love this reply:hihi::hihi:

Have you even heard of a Puffin crossing?

If you haven't, then you're in good company. I hadn't heard of them either until quite recently when I did yet another defensive driving course.

But if you're a pedestrian - which I imagine most of you with working legs will be - then it could be important to know the difference!

Who did you do the DD training with (training company)?

What else did you learn?

How often do you do these? (no-one else on here appears to be remotely interested in volunteering for such a course but would put everyone else on one. And few realise that companies have a duty of care for anyone who drives any vehicle for work purposes and should have risk assessment and driver training records in place).

Archived