Growing your own ciggies?

Does anyone on here grow their own tobacco? I've found a place (on t'net) that sells the seeds, but not really found any info about how you go about processing the leaves (drying and shredding).

Also information on growing it would be useful ... does it grow well in our climate, how many plants do you require roughly (obviously based on amount smoked)

I realise that If I grew my own I'd save money but I'd like to have a go just out of curiosity more than anything. I also realise I could most likely get all the information off the Google thing but thought it may be an interesting subject to chat about.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I wouldn't think it would grow very well in our climate - the nearest place I'm aware it is grown commercially is in the Dordogne region of France centred on Beregerac (about 800 miles south from here) - have holidayed round there many times - somewhat warmer than Sheffield - there are also quite a lot of vineyards. Also a different soil - Sheffields clay isn't that well drained.

You might be able to grow some in a greenhouse.

Decent tobacco needs tropical or subtropical heat to grow, unless you're lucky enough to have a little area like the Dordogne region which is a sun trap for the vast majority of the year, so I'd reckon you'd struggle to have a hot growing season for long enough to grow a decent crop in the UK.

You can grow some of the ornamental Nicotiana plants in the UK, but they tend to be the very small leaf varieties, which are planted in hot houses and are very frost sensitive, so the growing season is cut short by our weather.

The variety that actually makes tobacco is one of the very large leafed varieties (Nicotiana tabacum) and to make a good harvest of the large leaves you need to grow it as a herbacious perennial plant, which would be impossible in this country with a frost sensitive plant unless you have a properly heated greenhouse with extra lamps to mimic full sunlight in the depths of winter.

If you add up the electricity costs of running the heating and lighting then I doubt you'd find that you had made any savings at all, but you're also likely to incur the attention of the police, who will think that you're growing another crop entirely ;)

if you really want to save money then why not stop smoking?

Er ... actually, I did say that it was more out of curiosity than just saving money. I'm beginning to think it may not be a good idea unless I have a heated greenhouse ... which I don't. My dad has two though ... maybe I'll try it out in one of his. Would it be possible to grow it indoors? :huh:

If you add up the electricity costs of running the heating and lighting then I doubt you'd find that you had made any savings at all, but you're also likely to incur the attention of the police, who will think that you're growing another crop entirely ;)

I'm not a horticulturist Medusa, neither a policeman ... even I would be able to tell the difference between tobacco and 'grass' though! Tobacco's totally legal too! :)

Er ... actually, I did say that it was more out of curiosity than just saving money. I'm beginning to think it may not be a good idea unless I have a heated greenhouse ... which I don't. My dad has two though ... maybe I'll try it out in one of his. Would it be possible to grow it indoors? :huh:

I know someone who grew large amounts of tobacco both in greenhouses and outdoors in Sheffield. The problem wasn't the climate.

Tobacco is fermented rather like tea before it is fit for smoking. He manufactured fermenter driers out of old chest freezers. Soaked the stuff in all the commercial treatments to cure it etc etc. It smoked like privet and smelled like a compost heap fire.

Archived