Growing your own ciggies?

My dad grew his own tobacco plants in the late seventies in his greenhouse and they grew fine - I remember him drying them in his old coal oven - it smelled fine till he put it in a fag paper and smoked it - I remember him saying we should be grateful we didn't have to smoke it as it tasted far worse - he "cured" it by mixing some brandy with it

I'm positive that the government would bring in legislation regarding avoidence of duty.

in the 70s there was a tobacco free cigarette launched but the government still charged the same tax/duty on them so nobody bought them and they soon faded into oblivion.

I'm positive that the government would bring in legislation regarding avoidence of duty.

in the 70s there was a tobacco free cigarette launched but the government still charged the same tax/duty on them so nobody bought them and they soon faded into oblivion.

Considering it's perfectly legal to grow your own tobacco, I find it difficult to imagine how they could place a tax on the seeds. What next ... taxing flowers because you can grow them for nothing?

What about making your own wine/beer or powering your car from used cooking oil? :huh:

We bought some tobacco plants from an infant school summer fete in Whitby earlier this year.Planted them in an ordinary flower border.They grew,flowered and are still alive now. Don't know what to do with the leaves though.Perhaps just dry them out in the oven.

Yeah ... that's what I'm uncertain about. What do you do with the leaves once you've picked them? how do you shred 'em too ? :huh:

Yeah ... that's what I'm uncertain about. What do you do with the leaves once you've picked them? how do you shred 'em too ? :huh:

The office shredder should easily be up to this task, just make sure you empty it first. You don't want a contaminated crop. I too have looked at growing my own ciggies, but after initial layout and time, is it worth it?

If its cigs you want then you want virginia seeds saw in greenhouse end of march or in house.Keep temp at 60 or above.You will need good compost 3/4 inch deep sprinkle seeds and cover with 1/4 composs.They take about a week to ten days.Then they can be introduced out doors.But if you get any frost it will kill them.Plant about 2 to 3ft appart.When leafs go brown hang them in bunches under cover.

You cure them and chop them, either by hand or with a food shredder.

You can then roll your own cigars too.

Really - have a look at coffinails.com - everything you need to know is there.

Archived