Definition of a dee-dar?

having worked all over sheffield for the last 20 odd years and being born and bred here i'd have said dee dars are from places like parson x, shirecliffe, southey and wybourn, and not associated with any particular area, i myself am from pitsmoor and live in north sheffield and use dee's and dars quite regular and all the time while with other dee dars - our lass is a manc and when i'm with my mates and we're all dee darring she can hardly understand a word

I know how she feels - when I came over from salford 30 odd years ago, I sought out my own kind (working class northerners) rather than the middle class la di dahs at the university, problem was, I couldn't tell what they were saying - 'eh up tha nahs sithee owd cocker, rooerin' ont' cooersey edge ah wo, an it wo' reet chuffin' gradely............' my teenage daughter is a sheff lass and I can just about understand her.

along with geordie and southern irish,south yorks is one of the most beautiful voices, preferable my nasal sol'fudd whine by about a million

I know how she feels - when I came over from salford 30 odd years ago, I sought out my own kind (working class northerners) rather than the middle class la di dahs at the university, problem was, I couldn't tell what they were saying - 'eh up tha nahs sithee owd cocker, rooerin' ont' cooersey edge ah wo, an it wo' reet chuffin' gradely............' my teenage daughter is a sheff lass and I can just about understand her.

along with geordie and southern irish,south yorks is one of the most beautiful voices, preferable my nasal sol'fudd whine by about a million

she gives it me summat rotten sometimes while in mcr then asks me to say something and when i do they all laugh - but i give it her back 'barm' cakes eh ? and school pronounced with a 'w' so it sounds like schoowel :)

I am a Sheffielder born and bred (74 years) and have only heard the expression dee-dar in recent years and never when I was younger.

" washee, who washee we, washee we er sen"

brilliant i remember that old sheffield phrase book along with the sketches, a pic of a young kid saying 'dem peys wer like mabs' and a man kicking a little dog saying ' goo oowam' - reyt funny :hihi:

A typical Sheffield person will visit say Liverpool and return saying

"Theer reet thick an all-I could na hear owt they sayed.It were like been in newcassel ageen"

This exemplifies the parochialism that is more prevalent in Sheffield,making the city an urban version of an inbred village.

At the extreme risk of a barrage of reportable abuse, Dee Dars are from the "posh" parts of Sheffield such as Dore. Totley, Eccleshall and Whirlow :D

No they're dar dee dahs,and lar dee dahs.Dee Dars are the unintelligible Sheffield locals frowned upon by similarly inbred outsiders in Rawmarsh and Elsecar.

Archived