Definition of a dee-dar?

im with you Dee Dars are from Barnsley Sheffielders hate being called dee dars! well every one i have come accross do and if you acturally listern there is a broard difference to sheffield and barnsley anccents with a lot less ds from sheffield lol

sheffielders hate being called dee dars but its a fact that is what some people call us - barnsley are a lot more traditional yorkshire than us they say 'this and that' we (I, me) say dis an dat and so do all of my mates who were all born and bred here in North Sheffield

I'm Sheffield born and bred and raised with a grandfather born in 1900 who used all manner of local dialect and I never heard him say "dee dah". The first time I heard the expression was about 40 years ago when we bought a house next door to a Barnsley couple, they used to call us "dee dahs" and still do so, I would say that it's an expression used by Barsnley people directed at Sheffielders.

sheffielders hate being called dee dars but its a fact that is what some people call us - barnsley are a lot more traditional yorkshire than us they say 'this and that' we (I, me) say dis an dat and so do all of my mates who were all born and bred here in North Sheffield

There is quite possible a accent change between the noth and south then all my family are from the south of sheffield and we are more Ts than Ds by a long shot even my late grandfather used to call Barnley folk dee dars. but in recent years working with some people from Barnsley i was shocked to here them call us dee dars and had many a debate lol. my farther also coming from just south of the city centre is very much a tha wot tha bea whatch tha lip son kind of man lol.

There is quite possible a accent change between the noth and south then all my family are from the south of sheffield and we are more Ts than Ds by a long shot even my late grandfather used to call Barnley folk dee dars. but in recent years working with some people from Barnsley i was shocked to here them call us dee dars and had many a debate lol. my farther also coming from just south of the city centre is very much a tha wot tha bea whatch tha lip son kind of man lol.

Its a very interesting point, when I'm working southwest sheffield I never hear any yorkshire - isms, they all sound like they're from places like Bath or Stratford Upon Avon, accent-less people in Sheffield eh ? its never been reyt :)

I know how she feels - when I came over from salford 30 odd years ago, I sought out my own kind (working class northerners) rather than the middle class la di dahs at the university, problem was, I couldn't tell what they were saying - 'eh up tha nahs sithee owd cocker, rooerin' ont' cooersey edge ah wo, an it wo' reet chuffin' gradely............' my teenage daughter is a sheff lass and I can just about understand her.

along with geordie and southern irish,south yorks is one of the most beautiful voices, preferable my nasal sol'fudd whine by about a million

Good for you :thumbsup:

Its a very interesting point, when I'm working southwest sheffield I never hear any yorkshire - isms, they all sound like they're from places like Bath or Stratford Upon Avon, accent-less people in Sheffield eh ? its never been reyt :)

I know what you are saying....posh end.....

Archived