Definition of a dee-dar?

I don't find dee dar insulting in the least and if our friends fron Derbyshire find it entertaining - all well and good. After all we call them sheep s--gg--s and if anyone doesn't know why then just take a look at the OP's avatar.

I find this banter very interesting and entertaining and in no way insulting, it is in fact ... double reyt!

But why is this acceptable, whereas if you did the same with people from Pakistan or Nigeria, the lefties would be down on you like a ton of bricks and the post would be removed and you would be sent to jail to break rocks in the hot sun with honey smeared on your parts while a nest of angry hornets were let loose, etc etc!

I'm not condoning racism, simply wondered why we are allowed to poke fun out of some people but not others ... and who gets to decide?

I find this banter very interesting and entertaining and in no way insulting, it is in fact ... double reyt!

But why is this acceptable, whereas if you did the same with people from Pakistan or Nigeria, the lefties would be down on you like a ton of bricks and the post would be removed and you would be sent to jail to break rocks in the hot sun with honey smeared on your parts while a nest of angry hornets were let loose, etc etc!

I'm not condoning racism, simply wondered why we are allowed to poke fun out of some people but not others ... and who gets to decide?

sir enoch that IS a very interesting point, the thing is i bet people from the countries you suggested don't mind to a certain point having the proverbial taken out of their accents - however as you correctly suggest the lefties would turn it into a murder trial if they could :)

Dee dars have to be born in the particularly common areas of Sheffield.Up here in the west side we say Thi and Thar as in "Whats tha doin' darn theere,get thi sen up 'ere nar"

Snobbery is not cool.. Especially not from people who live in leafy old Eccleshall, or Dore, Totley or Whirlow :D

Just because I'm originally from lower Walkley, does NOT make me a Dee Dar!

Its a very interesting point, when I'm working southwest sheffield I never hear any yorkshire - isms, they all sound like they're from places like Bath or Stratford Upon Avon, accent-less people in Sheffield eh ? its never been reyt :)

You hear them when they slip up and let a bit of Sheffieldish slip out accidently.

My mate tells a cracking story about being in a deli/sandwich shop in Fulwood once. The lady in front of him had a huge plum in her gob and was talking very lah dee dah until she let her fake accent slip and ordered a 'quarter of potted mayt' :hihi:

First time I heard dee dar being used was when the blades played Rotherham at the Lane, and out of nowhere it seemed like the whole away end were singing "dee dar dee dar"... at first I assumed they'd seen a police car going by and were mimicking it... :hihi:

Certainly Barnsley have been the dingles (at least at football games) for at least as long as Zac Dingle and his family arrived at Emmerdale, a long time ago... :)

Archived