Holiday Entitlement -what is yours?

Albet

When I last worked in 1992....I was on 30 days a year + statutory.

However saying that....at Easter we were always given the Friday, Monday and Tuesday....so that's another extra day.

And depending on when Christmas and New Year fell we would get up to 2 weeks off (that was if Christmas day fell on a Wednesday - other days of the week meant slightly less).

The extras were outside of our entitlement and paid.

On top of that I was allowed 6 weeks unpaid carers leave...to spend with my disabled son who at the time was at boarding school.

After 10 years, 33 days plus bank holidays, (starting at 27 days), plus 13 days accrued time.

negotiated by a strong workforce, good bosses, and a good union.

This is what we all should be fighting for, not crying we have too much, it is you who have too little.

Get organised, and dont listen to these lies about the world financial situation.

There is as much money about now, as there ever was

Can you give an example of somewhere that has these terms already?

I work under an American contract and I don't get any holiday entitlement at all. Or Bank Holidays, not even Christmas.

You should get something. When my partner worked for an American company he still got 25 + 8 days of holiday. Granted we were in Ireland at the time, so also confined to EU working rules, but he still signed a US employment contract.

Unless youre a contractor. American companies generally heavily compensate with pay, so when you take unpaid time off, it should work out the same as if you were a permanent employee with the same amount of vacation time, though on slightly less money. If that makes sense.

I work shifts and we get a natural 8 days off every 4 weeks so all I have to do is tag a few days on either side and bingo, 2 weeks off for the price of 4 days.

So not quite as good as it might first have sounded with 2 weeks off every month.

Most people get 8 days off every four weeks, they call them weekends :P

Archived