Question about employment law

I have a single specific question which has not been covered in any recent threads about employment law. And I am asking for an up to date answer because I think that the law has been altered once or twice in the last 5 years.

How long into a new employment does a person have to be before legally protected as a permanent employee.

I ask this because I have looked into this question on line and there appears to be several answers, depending when the web site was laid out.

My previous understanding was that it used to be 12 months but is now 2 years, however, listening to the current coalition debates on whether it is right to sack someone easily if they prove to be not up to the job, it seems that the politicians seem to think that it is still one year.

It's one year now but the government wants to put it back to two. However, some employment rights you have from day one in that you can sue for unfair dismissal if your basic statutory rights are breached. These include gender, race and disability discrimination, the right to a written contract of employment and others. I think davyboy's adviceguide above will list them. If not Sheffield Law Centre, Howells, et al, will help you if you're not in a union. You may get legal aid if needed. The TUC or ACAS websites may help.

Many thanks for those answers, food for thought..

it appears that if you are in the employment :-

1) for over a year you can make a claim for unfair dismissal

2) for over two years you are entitled to statutory redundancy pay

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/employment/redundancy_an_introduction/redundancy___procedures_your_employer_must_follow.htm

I have a single specific question which has not been covered in any recent threads about employment law. And I am asking for an up to date answer because I think that the law has been altered once or twice in the last 5 years.

How long into a new employment does a person have to be before legally protected as a permanent employee.

I ask this because I have looked into this question on line and there appears to be several answers, depending when the web site was laid out.

My previous understanding was that it used to be 12 months but is now 2 years, however, listening to the current coalition debates on whether it is right to sack someone easily if they prove to be not up to the job, it seems that the politicians seem to think that it is still one year.[/quote

Two years in the event of dismissal,and even then proper proceudres must be followed.Law brought in durin g the 1974-9 Labour administration,in 1976 I think.

The employment protection act has always been subject to change depending upon which party was in power. The current contrived unelected administration has altered the period after which employees get protection under the act from one year to two years. So you can be finished from a new job for no reason whatsoever now for up to two years and have no comeback.

The employment protection act has always been subject to change depending upon which party was in power. The current contrived unelected administration has altered the period after which employees get protection under the act from one year to two years. So you can be finished from a new job for no reason whatsoever now for up to two years and have no comeback.

Where did you get the 2 years rule from? This BBC article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15456585

from a month ago says that it's just a proposal to increase it to 2 years and that "Currently, workers who feel they were unfairly dismissed can make a claim after 12 months in a job."

The draft proposal is dated last month although there's a typo in the article saying that the law will be effective from April 2011. I think they mean 2012. As the Lib-Dems seem to be opposed to it its chances of becoming law must be limited.

And where did you get the idea the government is unelected. There was an election in May 2010 and it took office shortly after. Did you miss it?

And where did you get the idea the government is unelected. There was an election in May 2010 and it took office shortly after. Did you miss it?

The government is elected, but the election was not won by the conservatives. Therefore it is strange that we have a tory prime minister who has never won a general election.

It depends on the type of employment and the contract...

Legally there is a 1 year minimum for most public jobs, but be careful when you sign your contract because they can have a clause in there that covers them up to (I believe) 3 years... anything past that then you're getting into very awkward, sticky territory

Archived