Pushbikes on pavements

As I said before, same old, same old. There's good and bad evrywhere. Not all drivers are a holes and neither are cyclists. Give and take and try to respect each other, it's not that difficult surely? )sighs wistfully, realising I am trying to polish a turd)

The Highway Code is the official road user guide for Great Britain. It contains 306 numbered rules and 9 annexes covering pedestrians, animals, cyclists, motorcyclists and drivers. This is the ultimate written guide that is backed up by the law in the UK. Not cyclemonthly, lycraweekly or makeuprulesasIgoalong bi-monthly. And if you have a look at your cycle chummys photo, the car is on the "inside" of the white lines.

There are many textbooks and leaflets given out to individuals and groups that are recommended by the Government, but these cannot overwrite anything from the highway code. If it says your causing a tailback, PULL IN, because that is the law, whether you like it or not. It is now you that is making the case for cyclists a bit silly if you think your cycling proficiency test is more powerful in a court of law than the Highway Code. Its not rocket science to see this. Have another look at it, then read the definition. You fall into a slow moving vehicle catagory, and that is excactly what you are. Me and many others dont want to cause grief to cyclists, but your definitions make this unavoidable.

Except that it's not.

All that effort, so little knowledge. Do you feel a bit silly now? No, of course you don't? You should, but you'd rather wallow in the righteous indignation that you accuse others of.

Just give 'em time. Give 'em space. Everyone will be happy.

The Highway Code is the official road user guide for Great Britain.
But it's not "The book from which road laws are statuted??" which is what you said in your previous post. Parts of the highway code are derived from the law the law is not derived from the highway code. The highway code also contains much that is not law.

Not cyclemonthly, lycraweekly or makeuprulesasIgoalong bi-monthly.
Stop inventing things to knock down - it will make people thing you haven't got any real arguments.
If it says your causing a tailback, PULL IN, because that is the law

Please demonstrate you haven't just made that up by providing links to the relevant legislation. It's all online and there are references to the appropriate law in the relevant sections of the highway code if you are having trouble finding them.

Its nice to see the crazy cycling fraternity getting together to give feeble excuses for their awful riding skills, and quoting from the "Government Approved Cycle Training Scheme For Lycra Clad Road Bigots" manual (feet on both pedals, balance, and away you go, but there might be cars that get in your way) and post it in such a way that they appear quite normal, but its always gonna be against you when you make silly moves on the road, jump a red light, cycle on the path and cause mayhem to pedestrians or just plainly be a total road hog. Many drivers, like me DO expect the unexpected from some of the pillocks on bikes today, but there are a lot of drivers who dont, and I stand by my belief that if you ride (or post) like a pillock, then its tough poo poo when you come a cropper.

Yawn, different thread same load of rubbish from all sides.

Some motorists/cyclists/pedestrians don't have a clue and are a danger to all other road users.

Move on already.

That's nice to know of you, and I agree with your 2nd point, which is why most cyclists don't behave like that.

Probably why it was not responded to ;)

I didnt respond to it, because its not in the highway code, Your link is just another Direct.gov webpage, NOT from the H/C. The Highway Code clearly says slow moving vehicles should pull over to allow traffic to pass. :o

It does speak volumes when I posted this ages ago, and yet many have quoted this and that from other publications wheras I keep telling you that this is a rule as set out in the Highway Code. A very sensible rule too.

When you go for a driving test, you are not asked questions from the lastest Cyclecraft edition........ you are asked questions from the Highway Code because that is the OFFICIAL brass knuckle rule book that we all must adhere to, and not change it because we think we are doing something for the good of others. It is not the place of a cyclist to determine whether or not its safe for motor vehicles to pass him.

Where Cyclecraft may offer safe and helpful advice for riders, and may be published by The Stationery Office, and may be the bible that a lot of riders swear by, it is only a "guide", and each and every cycle move on the road is going to be different, the problem you have is that the onus is on the rider, if they decide to leave a queue of traffic behind them because they assumed it was the correct thing to do. Unfortunately, the law works in a different way when it comes to roadusers, and guide books just dont cut the cloth. If you want to have the same respect on the road as a motor vehicle, it pays to know your Highway Code, and the laws that go with it. Sometimes we all go mad researching things to get one over on other S/F members, and we can all say some crazy things, but at the end of the day we all have to respect the laws of the road, both riders and drivers, but the guides that give you advice to hold back traffic are just plain wrong, both legally and for the safety of the rider concerned, even if they are approved by the holy god of highness, they still go against the rules, as set out in the H/C. I know that some will call this an abhorant rant etc etc, but I think this is worth the dabate, no matter how heated it gets:rolleyes:

Just to claify the law which nobody can find. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

I didnt respond to it, because its not in the highway code, Your link is just another Direct.gov webpage, NOT from the H/C. The Highway Code clearly says slow moving vehicles should pull over to allow traffic to pass. :o

It does speak volumes when I posted this ages ago, and yet many have quoted this and that from other publications wheras I keep telling you that this is a rule as set out in the Highway Code. A very sensible rule too.

When you go for a driving test, you are not asked questions from the lastest Cyclecraft edition........ you are asked questions from the Highway Code because that is the OFFICIAL brass knuckle rule book that we all must adhere to, and not change it because we think we are doing something for the good of others. It is not the place of a cyclist to determine whether or not its safe for motor vehicles to pass him.

Where Cyclecraft may offer safe and helpful advice for riders, and may be published by The Stationery Office, and may be the bible that a lot of riders swear by, it is only a "guide", and each and every cycle move on the road is going to be different, the problem you have is that the onus is on the rider, if they decide to leave a queue of traffic behind them because they assumed it was the correct thing to do. Unfortunately, the law works in a different way when it comes to roadusers, and guide books just dont cut the cloth. If you want to have the same respect on the road as a motor vehicle, it pays to know your Highway Code, and the laws that go with it. Sometimes we all go mad researching things to get one over on other S/F members, and we can all say some crazy things, but at the end of the day we all have to respect the laws of the road, both riders and drivers, but the guides that give you advice to hold back traffic are just plain wrong, both legally and for the safety of the rider concerned, even if they are approved by the holy god of highness, they still go against the rules, as set out in the H/C. I know that some will call this an abhorant rant etc etc, but I think this is worth the dabate, no matter how heated it gets:rolleyes:

Just to claify the law which nobody can find. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

It's difficult to know where to begin with this heap of nonsense.

Let's being with; the Highway Code is not the Law.

That's nice to know of you, and I agree with your 2nd point, which is why most cyclists don't behave like that.

Probably why it was not responded to ;)

And that's not a direct.gov link?

I never said it wasnt, but just to clarify, yes, its a direct.gov link, but its NOT from the highway code. Please have a look at the differences. Mine says "Highway Code" on the page and yours says "Cycle Safety" on the page. One is a law, one is a guide.

It's difficult to know where to begin with this heap of nonsense.

Let's being with; the Highway Code is not the Law.

Lets end with this,

The LawMany of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words MUST / MUST NOT. In addition the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under Traffic Acts to establish liability.

Knowing and applying the rules contained in The Highway Code could significantly reduce road accident casualties. Cutting the number of deaths and injuries that occur on our roads every day is a responsibility we all share. The Highway Code can help us discharge that responsibility.

If thats not the law, then its no wonder.

I never said it wasnt, but just to clarify, yes, its a direct.gov link, but its NOT from the highway code. Please have a look at the differences. Mine says "Highway Code" on the page and yours says "Cycle Safety" on the page. One is a law, one is a guide.
As has been pointed out more times than I can be bothered to count, the highway code is just that a code, a guide, not necessarily the law.

But, if you want to see how this code affects cycles and motorists, it says:

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is particularly important to be aware of children, older and disabled people, and learner and inexperienced drivers and riders.

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Archived