Pushbikes on pavements

I once got run over cycling on the pavement. Fortunately it was me who got hit and I escaped by jumping off of the bike as it was crumpled. A few yards ahead was a women pushing her baby in a pram, I was just about to dismount so I could pass her safely on the (narrow) road.

Im a motorist who has to pay to use the roads even though i pay my council tax ,so why should cyclists have a free ride ?

Free ride! Apart from council tax there's income tax, VAT, capital gains tax, duty on alcohol and numerous other taxes a proportion of all of which goes on maintaining the roads. The extra tax you pay for your car doesn't cover the cost of maintaining the motorway network - which cyclists aren't allowed to use.

just a quick comment, who will police this policy if its made law?. the rising tide of uninsured drivers has got the plod wondering what to do already, and what will be the penalty for not having tax on a bike?. its totally unenforceable. its more than worth taking the risk now to drive uninsured. the statistics say something like you would get away with driving for five to seven years without being picked up by the police. and when that does happen the fines are tiny, compared to the insurance premium you would have otherwise had to pay. so can you imagine the trouble people would have with keeping tabs on a specific bike ! its impossible. well not impossible but the costs to set up registration and issue fines and warning notices would be too big.

Here it goes again......motorist v cyclists It's bloody depressing seeing the same posters, with the same tired arguments, venting their spleen on each other. We all share the road, whether we are motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders et al. A bit of common courtesy goes a long way people, let's see some on here eh?

I know its a Mansfield story but that's not so far away. The scum who did this may try and get it repaired in Sheffield. Keep a look out for it, whatever your chosen mode of transport we need to get these type of people locked up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-15903438

Sorry to highjack a thread, you can get back to arguing about who pays the most tax again.

there at are least two pedestrians that have been killed by cyclists on the pavement to my knowledge also if you read your highway code it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement have nearly been knocked over a few times would help if they had the bell which is compulsory but some of them do not seem to know.

i am not saying all cyclists are a nuisance but if one were too knock one over on the pavement the poor pedestrian has no way of claiming anything off them as they will have just ridden off in the distance

Archived