Pushbikes on pavements

Any death is 1 too many no matter what type of vehicle is involved.

There are about 100 pedestrians killed on the pavements by motor vehicles each year.

The average number of pedestrians killed each year on the pavement by cyclists is less than 1.

We seem very proud of the UK having some of the safest roads in the world. Then along comes a map like this which puts the collateral damage into some perspective.

http://map.itoworld.com/road-casualties-uk

You lot need to get out more. I very rarely see bikes on the paths in Sheffield and when I do they are usually slow and looking to avoid people.

It's you who want to get out more I see up to six every morning on the four mile journey to work, they ride on footpath, shoot red lights and are a danger to pedestrians and themselves. I would make them take a cycling proficiency test which included a written test on the highway code

But it's not that cycling is intrinsically a disruptive activity, it is just some people do it that way. However TBH cycling on the road in this country is a pretty dangerous sport, and a few bent rules to make it safer probably seem justifiable to many cyclists.

Cycling on the pavement is supposed to be able to get you an instant fine from the police, but I don't suppose that is easy to enforce.

The mention of fatalities is not the only consideration, what about injuries and inconvenience (if any).

Well , hopefully cyclists free loading will soon be a thing of the past ,so you my friend ,and all the other cyclists will start having to pay for the privalidge ,the same as us motorists do. Enjoy the free ride while it lasts my friend.

car owners pay car tax for polution they put into our air,its called ved tax cycles dont put nasty gases in the air only when they fart

hi his there other people out there thats fed up with bike rider using the pavements instead of the roads.i have to dodge them going to work at 5-30am in the morning they have no lights dark clothes and they are a bloody nuisance does anyone agree with me.also is it against the law if so why does the police turn a blind eye to it

A message to all cyclists

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

This was copied and pasted by me from the Highway Code, which is a Government document which clearly sets out the standards that we all must adhere to, if we want to use our over-priced roads.

The first time a motorist does something that appears to be wrong, the cyclists are out like a pack of wolves to a lamb.

Its pointless trying to explain this rule to a cyclist, as they will always say "use your common sense".

I would never say that motorists are angels, as all of us have made bad decisions on the road, but this thread is PERFECT for bringing a few home truths home to the cycling clowns that do use the pavement, but you can bet your bottom dollar that one of them, yes THEM, will jump down my throat and tell me that this practice is ok. We may well all be road users, but I will never accept that cyclists should be allowed to do the things they do on the roads, as they put themselves into such a position that an accident is enevitable, and you can bet that the "Fully Insured" motorist will be the one paying the bill because the cyclist "came off the pavement, straight onto the road, and I had no chance of avoiding him" sydrome, which is more evident than documented, as it seems the motorist will always be accused of causing the accident, even though mind reading isnt yet part of the driving test.

A message to all cyclists

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

This was copied and pasted by me from the Highway Code, which is a Government document which clearly sets out the standards that we all must adhere to, if we want to use our over-priced roads.

The first time a motorist does something that appears to be wrong, the cyclists are out like a pack of wolves to a lamb.

Its pointless trying to explain this rule to a cyclist, as they will always say "use your common sense".

I would never say that motorists are angels, as all of us have made bad decisions on the road, but this thread is PERFECT for bringing a few home truths home to the cycling clowns that do use the pavement, but you can bet your bottom dollar that one of them, yes THEM, will jump down my throat and tell me that this practice is ok. We may well all be road users, but I will never accept that cyclists should be allowed to do the things they do on the roads, as they put themselves into such a position that an accident is enevitable, and you can bet that the "Fully Insured" motorist will be the one paying the bill because the cyclist "came off the pavement, straight onto the road, and I had no chance of avoiding him" sydrome, which is more evident than documented, as it seems the motorist will always be accused of causing the accident, even though mind reading isnt yet part of the driving test.

so does that include under 5 year olds on trikes

so does that include under 5 year olds on trikes

It may well be just as difficult to read the mind of a 5yr old, although its possible to happen. I suppose it depends on whether the parents were supervising at the time, or were sat on their fat asres watching Jeremy Kline, or more importantly, and more topically, it was an adult numpty who refuses to obey the rules of the road, which is what this thread is all about. Its always difficult to write something about cyclists on SF, as many have tunnel vision when it comes to the law.

Archived