Are The Left To Blame For the Rise of The Right?

errrrrm no?

theres always been enough idiots willing to follow the right, look at the brownshirts in the 30s, those that went to fight for the nazis in the 40s and the rise of the nf in the late 60s / 70s who we know spawned the bnp

people always look for people to blame in times of hardship.

With all the parties being the same now there is room on the right for another party.. There. obviously, isn't one at present though. UKIP's track record is looking pretty good, being the only party who sussed the EU for what it was. A disaster..

I can't think who I'll vote for. I loath all the mainstream parties and the fringe parties, like The Greens and Respect, are basket cases...

Maybe Robert Kilroy Silk should make a come back...:)

I find it difficult to comprehend a left wing thinker moving from left of politics to further right than the Tories. .even as a protest vote.

That's because you're looking at it from an idealigical point of view rather than a class point of view. White working class people particularly those who have been left stranded by labours modernisation don't trust labour and arguably don't understand them either. They couldn't comprehend why Blair didn't reopen the pits and mills and the steel works like the last labour government would have done. They could see a load of foreigners "taking their jerbs". The bnp welcomed, albeit temporarily, quite a few of these folk with open arms. Look at maltby, look at alot of former pit villages. The bnp do alright in alot of those.

I'd agree the BNP and EDL couldn't arrange an heavy drinking session in a brewery. But that doesn't mean there are not still millions of people who don't have far right ideologies.. It just needs someone to light the fire, as in the 1930's. I think some on the left are helping collect the tinder, but they're blind to the fact..

I think you exaggerate. In my opinion they'd struggle to make half a million throughout the whole UK.

I find it difficult to comprehend a left wing thinker moving from left of politics to further right than the Tories. .even as a protest vote.

I met someone at the 1983 general election who said he couldn't decide whether to vote Labour or NF. I didn't have the heart to tell him the NF weren't standing where he lived and that the Labour candidate was Jewish. Labour voters aren't necessarily left-wing. Look at Mecky on here. Their loyalty is tribal rather than ideological. They just want to feel Labour represents them and when they feel let down, voting BNP is a far greater protest than voting Tory.

This abandonment of what was once Labour’s core voters, coupled with the contemptuous treatment of them by an increasingly elitist clique of career politicians

This article fails to take into account that the left have become the right. This right hasn't "risen", it's always been here.

The last true Labour government left office in 1979. Of all the PMs since that date, only Crash Gordon had a touch of Old Labour about him (didn't stop him sucking up to the City though).

Whichever of the Milliband twins will be the next PM will make no difference I'm afraid.

We won't reverse Coalition cuts, says Balls

Much like Obama and his "change we can believe in".

I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs." "I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking." "Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!" "Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control. Here's Love Connection. Watch this and get fat and stupid. By the way, keep drinking beer, you f***ing morons."

Bill Hicks, Rant in E-Minor (1997)

Archived