Cutlers Spice Gleadless Townend

holymoses

Same sub continent yes, same as Europe I suppose??? I think the owners might be offended being described as Indian?

I checked, they definitely describe/advertise themselves as an 'Indian Restaurant' ... here's their Facebook page to prove it... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cutlers-Spice/190331474343749?sk=info

That doesn't necessarily mean that the owners, chefs or any of the staff are from India, I never commented on that, just that they serve 'Indian style' food.

Fantastic restaurant went last saterday night place was packed we was sat near the bar and they was turning people away we was lucky to get a seat food brilliant staff really friendly and just up my street decorated to a very high standard only complaint our starters arrived before we finished our popadams but that's minor i will be going again this saterday with my mates happy days !!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic restaurant went last saterday night place was packed we was sat near the bar and they was turning people away we was lucky to get a seat food brilliant staff really friendly and just up my street decorated to a very high standard only complaint our starters arrived before we finished our popadams but that's minor i will be going again this saterday with my mates happy days !!!!!!!!!!

What dishes did you have?

I had the zingra king prawns it had a Bangladeshi vegetable init first time I had it not seen it on any other restaurants menu best thing about this place is that they kept all the yobs out plenty of kids and family's eat there manager told me they have a blackboard specials menu comeing out soon. an alfresco dinning area and a second floor restaurant in next few years they are going to grow this place slowly it's got my vote went on there Facebook page love how they communicate with there customers have a look at there pictures one guy took a rolls Royce phantom there very classy I used to go to chutneys not anymore this is my new local.

• 4 weeks later...
Guys,

If you wanted to try something new in Indian food, I recommend the South Indian. They are distinctly different from the other curry houses which are all North Indian ...

I found a new takeway in the Sheffield city centre. I have tried them recently and it was an amazing experience.

Being from South India myself I can vouch for its authenticity. Reminds me of food back home. There was a variety to choose from and food was served hot & fresh.

I have tried the other restaurants in Abbeydale but can't go there often given their location.

This is conveniently located at the city centre. They just do takeway though and can be reached at : 0114 278 1578.

Am sure authentic food lovers would find it a treat & value for money.

Why did you post this on Cutlers spices tread for? And if you don't work for them then why is all your posts about them lmso :s too many restauranturs,staff are high jacking Sheffield fourm ;(

• 10 months later...
A big group of us went last night for a birthday. We shared a vast array of dishes so I'm in a good position to comment.

These included a south indian chicken tikka thing, a kind of korma dish with sultanas, vindaloo, a few more chicken disshes with similar sauces, biryani,side dishes with peas, potatoes and indian cheese, tandoori chicken, mixed grill, onion bhajis, 3 types of nan, mushroom rice, pilau, popadoms and chutney.

It was getting busy at 8pm, but it was a saturday night.

I was expecting a lot judging by the reviews on here. Unfortunately our visit didnt live up to expectations. It was average, heres why:

The good bits:

They have done a lot with the place, the decor is nice and the restaurant is spacious, the only thing was it is a little bright and they could do with dimming the halogen lighting a bit.

The service was OK, quite fast. Not overly friendly, as some people seem to be suggesting. Some bald geezer kept brushing up against me when serving the food which was annoying, But otherwise no cause for complaint here.

Prices are OK. Not expensive (but in line with the food). Drinks are at decent prices. Don't go for wine, go for beer.

The bad bits:

Veg dishes were almost non existant apart from a couple of dark brown looking side dishes, it seemed to be mainly chicken dishes in brown or greyish sauces (except the korma thing which was pinkish). A lot on the menu - but very samey in taste when they came. Don't expect refined spices if you visit.

Infact everything came in heavy sauces, except the mixed grill, which wasnt great. One comment on the tandoori chicken was it was 'stringy' and poor quality, the sheek kebab was horrid.

The onion bhajis had mustard seeds in which gave it an odd taste but there was good amount of onion in there, some people didnt like them (I thought they were OK and eat mine), the nan breads were decent, chilli, garlic and plain - probably the best bit of the meal. Not greasy at all.

Some other people (on the forum) commented on how good the 7 chutneys were - if you ask me they came from jars not homemade, tasted like that pataks stuff you get from the corner shop. Bit dissapointing.

We didnt stay for coffee, which speaks for itself.

In conclusion:

All in all Cutlers spice comes in the middle ground of Indian restaurants, It definately caters to the British 'gravy' indian loving public. Food wise it offers nothing different to whats already out there or has been out there for the last 30 years and everything is swimming in similar gravies - I have tasted better curries at home, I expected better so that was dissapointing.

On the plus side It's not expensive so you don't feel too bad about the average food and the service is OK. It's pretty comfrotable in there, credit for transforming the place from a crap pub to a nice looking restaurant.

I think this place will be OK because it appeals to the masses, its also big enough for big groups. Sadly the food lets it down for me.

That is a very good and objective review mate, well done. I feel I've got a good idea what to expect now.

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 17:06 ----------

I had the zingra king prawns it had a Bangladeshi vegetable init first time I had it not seen it on any other restaurants menu best thing about this place is that they kept all the yobs out plenty of kids and family's eat there manager told me they have a blackboard specials menu comeing out soon. an alfresco dinning area and a second floor restaurant in next few years they are going to grow this place slowly it's got my vote went on there Facebook page love how they communicate with there customers have a look at there pictures one guy took a rolls Royce phantom there very classy I used to go to chutneys not anymore this is my new local.

Here you are pal, have these on me:

, .

Archived