Whitbys at catcliffe

kathrynj

and what about the quality?

Was the batter on the fish golden brown, light and crispy? Were the chips well cooked, nice and golden brown, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside?

Or was it the usual pale yellow soggy batter on the fish and pale white soft chips?

The reason I ask is because I think it is increasingly difficult to find good fish and chips - we do have another thread on here btw about the same thing - and this place you mention at Catcliffe has been mentioned on there too. Mixed reviews so far.

I'm not interested in the "value" in terms of the cost - I'd rather pay two or three times more and have something really top quality.

So, how is it?

I like brown chips. Tell me the chips are brown and I might consider it.

I'm sick of all these chip shops in the high street ran by people who are not from this country and don't know how fish and chips should be - they turn out white soft chips - they should be made illegal!

• 1 month later...

Tried these for the first time today and quite impressed. The restaurant is lovely, so clean and spacious, there's a bar too. My husband had the haddock and chips, which was huge! I had the "small" cod and chips at £6.95 and he said he wished he'd had that as it would have been quite big enough. Staff were lovely, very efficient and friendly. Pot of tea and hot water enough for 4 cups was 95p. Mushy peas, tartare sauce, tomato ketchup all served in seperate little pots. Would have loved to have tried their desserts too, but no room!

Will definitley go again, the fish was firm and white, the batter melted in your mouth, the chips much better than average.

• 3 weeks later...

Took Mrs DD and the pups this evening - not very impressed with service. Gave our order - grown ups food came first after about 20 minutes (no bad thing there)- Mrs DD requested cod, chips and mushy peas - when delivered waiter said small cod and chips, no peas provided. Said not asked for small cod but never mind, then about 10 minutes later the pups food arrived -not what was ordered - they asked for chicken nuggets they got fish - sent back - after about 15 min the waitress who took our order came back to see if everything ok, told her of problem and our food going cold whilst waiting for pups food to arrive - she just said "Oh" and walked off to see to other diners - never ventured near us again. Soon after pups food arrived (and wifes peas) - asked for condiments - none arrived - took half an hour to get bill - charged for large cod and childrens fish dinners, when queried bill recalculated and £7.50 knocked off.

Can't say it was really busy - about 3/4 full when we got there but emptied to 1/3rd whilst we were waiting so its not like they were rushed off their feet.

No complaints about taste of food - I had fish pie, tasted ok but not much of it. Pups said chicken nuggets were delicious.

Nothing special - will make do with local chippy in future.

Took Mrs DD and the pups this evening - not very impressed with service. Gave our order - grown ups food came first after about 20 minutes (no bad thing there)- Mrs DD requested cod, chips and mushy peas - when delivered waiter said small cod and chips, no peas provided. Said not asked for small cod but never mind, then about 10 minutes later the pups food arrived -not what was ordered - they asked for chicken nuggets they got fish - sent back - after about 15 min the waitress who took our order came back to see if everything ok, told her of problem and our food going cold whilst waiting for pups food to arrive - she just said "Oh" and walked off to see to other diners - never ventured near us again. Soon after pups food arrived (and wifes peas) - asked for condiments - none arrived - took half an hour to get bill - charged for large cod and childrens fish dinners, when queried bill recalculated and £7.50 knocked off.

Can't say it was really busy - about 3/4 full when we got there but emptied to 1/3rd whilst we were waiting so its not like they were rushed off their feet.

No complaints about taste of food - I had fish pie, tasted ok but not much of it. Pups said chicken nuggets were delicious.

Sounds dreadful. Not exactly a complicated order was it?

It looked very busy when I drove past about 5.15 pm ish.

On the plus point - it's good that they have a menu for dogs, not seen a restaurant do that before! :D

I used to work in a very good chippy, not in Sheffield, and after eating at Whitbys, i found it pretty much spot on as to what id expect. They were cooked really well, and crisp as you like. I would seriously recommend it to anyone who wants a good quality chippy.

Worth the drive out too :-)

Archived