Takapuna – West Street :-(

AlquarUK

Originally posted by floyd77

I cant understand this 'no groups larger than 4'.

This essentially means that if you have more than 3 friends you cant get in anywhere.

Went for a works night out the other week, and before we even had a drink were turned away because we were in a group. This was a smartish group of 6 between mid 20's and 50's. It wasnt because we were drunk, or the place was full, but they very politely explained their policy was not to let in groups. (This was Walkabout BTW)

Obviously they were just following the rules, but all this achives is turning away custom, when the prospective patrons are obviously not drunk, or a gang of troublemakers.

Crazy, but whatchgonnado?

Drink elsewhere?

Very funny. :roll:

I didn't intend it as a joke or a jibe at you, mate!

I'm of the opinion that if a pub or club operates a door policy that means my companions and I are not welcome I'll try somewhere else and give my custom to someone who wants it.

Originally posted by Carmine

I didn't intend it as a joke or a jibe at you, mate!

I'm of the opinion that if a pub or club operates a door policy that means my companions and I are not welcome I'll try somewhere else and give my custom to someone who wants it.

I understand, and am of the same opinion - I guess I was just commenting on the ridiculous situation where a pub wants customers, but turns them away if they turn up more than 4 at a time.

But yes, personally I wouldnt even argue to get into a pub. If they dont welcome my business, then I'll go somewhere that does.

I especially despise those places who have morons on the door on some kind of power trip. Plenty of places have good bouncers who are perfectly civil, so I'll go there.

I cant understand this 'no groups larger than 4'.

This essentially means that if you have more than 3 friends you cant get in anywhere.

Went for a works night out the other week, and before we even had a drink were turned away because we were in a group. This was a smartish group of 6 between mid 20's and 50's. It wasnt because we were drunk, or the place was full, but they very politely explained their policy was not to let in groups. (This was Walkabout BTW)

Obviously they were just following the rules, but all this achives is turning away custom, when the prospective patrons are obviously not drunk, or a gang of troublemakers.

Crazy, but whatchgonnado?

Yes I can understand the frustration with this one as I have been in the same predicament.

The door policy at Takapuna like I say was created from guidlines passed onto the management by SYP. Why? Well the reasoning is that the group of men shouldn't be greater than the door staff on the venue in numbers (as a guideline).

Thus if the group turn a little rowdy due to excess alcohol and one to one policy is maintained.

However if there is a group of 8 men and 4 door staff then you're in a two to one situation which could be potentially dangerous.

Characteristsics show that football firms tend to operate a strength in numbers ratio. Thus you stop larger groups of men (large depends on the door staff ratio) from entering the venue to maintain these guidelines. It's about adopting a safe policy for the venue and the patrons inside.

At the end of the day it's about ALL the customers within the venue having a good and safe evening and unfortunately being in this PC world we cannot say it's ok for one groups of guys to come in who are in a group over your door ratio and not to another.

So for me at that time anyway... it's one rule for all... and that rule was from management anyway.

Now I know walkabout especially have a big problem with football firms so they are incredibly strict with their policy on letting in large groups. Best thing to do is split up into groups of no more than 3 and make your way in seperately.

Once you're in you're in.

Like I say I can see how frustrating it is from both sides of the story, but the door policies are in place as set out by SYP guidelines and are there for everyones safety.

And I'm not even a doorman anymore :P

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Wow am quite surprised to see this thread to be honest.

I used to be head doorman at Takapuna some time ago before I retired from the trade (back in 04).

The place does have a door policy with regards to dress and group size (men especially) which were given as recomendation from South Yorkshire finest as it happens to help combat the amount of footie hooligans which were let in the place.

Now I don't run the door their anymoreso cannot say what happened and I can sympathise with the OP if they were turned away.

The woman you refer to would have been a door picker which they introduced in 03. The pickers changes from time to time but the job they do is essentially the same.

Now there job is essentially to make sure the door policy is adhered to.

I.e. Any clothes from the banned list are not allowed in the venue, any groups of lads (more than 4 usually) not allowed in the venue unless accompanied by the fairer sex thus being in couples, no known trouble causers in the venue and no too casual clothes being worn.

Now depending on the picker it can be more of a case if your face doesn't fit or your clothes don't fully match up to their standards then they say no. They have the say on the front door over the door staff (unless it's a security matter then door staff over rule).

If youget a good picker they stick to the policy and that's that.. if not then it's pot luck.

I'm sorry this was the case for you mate and can assure it's not something the management like to hear. If you feel you have a genuine grievance then I would say contact the management during the day when no door staff operate and you can deal direct with management.

They're very friendly and are happy to hear all sides, you may even get some drinks/food vouchers for your troubles.

I hope it doesn't put you off going (although I can appreciate it would) because I still like the place and try to promote it on here whenever possible.

However I understand if it's a case of once bitten twice shy sort of thing.

All the best anyway :thumbsup:

WOW nice to hear from someone in the know. I actually reworded this thread to make it less negative as from only one night I can't assume this kind of thing went on, but was disapointed to get this kind of hassle especially as we were following all the dress codes and criteria you listed above.

I'm not going to take out a greivance or take it any further, instead I choose to vote with my cash. Like Kingdom this place will never see a penny from my wallet and probably from the wallets of my mates that were involved ever again.

On the plus side the did refund the entry cost to my 2 friends as we had got split up and the 2nd pair couldn't get in. This at least was decent because I'm sure other places wouldn't have done the same.

cheers, Al :)

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Wow am quite surprised to see this thread to be honest.

I used to be head doorman at Takapuna some time ago before I retired from the trade (back in 04).

They're very friendly and are happy to hear all sides, you may even get some drinks/food vouchers for your troubles.

So I assume you were in charge in 2004 when my mate's girlfriend got seriously groped by some low-life and having verbally defended her, he got smacked in the head twice in front of the 'bouncers'??? Only when he got the 'upper-hand' did they jump in, stop the fight and call the police.

Comes to light that this pervert was a mate of the bouncers.

Shame your ex-bouncers behaviour doesn't match the self-righteous articulate nature of your posts on this forum.

From my experience of the doorstaff at this hole, pumped-up jobsworth arrogance springs to mind. And thats ignoring my mates experience.

The only good bouncers that I've met have had an IQ to match their bicep size. And there's none of them here.

As another poster said, my money's going elsewhere and went elsewhere a long time ago.

Avoid, unless you know a doorman or deal.

let's face it (sorry Da bouncer) sometimes doormen can be a bit inconsistent. Tha other week I had some nice discreet trainer types on and tried the Halcyon on Div St .IMy mate got in with the white-ist trainers ever, five mins later I got refused. Back to the Takapuna, I've always been ok but the busier it gets the more likely you are to get pulled. Don't use it again it's nowt special anyway

Takapuna is one of those hell holes which is full of people who think they are someone special. Full of look at me people. The doorstaff aren't the best either.

Archived