Natwest? useing your card in other machines

can i start off by saying me and the mrs DO NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! have credit problems our moto is if you do not have the money you should not be spending it so thats why we chose not to have an overdraft and credit cards also we have had no letter or heard nothing about this happening

No credit card? ... Car hire is out for you then!

No credit card? ... Car hire is out for you then!

No it's not at all. I've used my debit card many times to rent cars, both in the UK and abroad. Most large hire companies are absolutely fine with it. In fact I did it a few months ago, in the late summer, to hire a transit.

I have a similar account to the OP, having seen my parents get into quite bad debt, and never wanting to be in that position. I earn far above the national average, and am certainly not in any trouble, I just don't want to get into the position my folks did; I don't want an overdraft, a loan, a credit card, store credit or anything like it. You (and by that I mean some of the very judgmental people on here, not you specifically) shouldn't assume the worst about people based on one fact.

Perhaps I'm tired and reading it wrong, but the OP, be it one person or their partner, seems to me to have been jumped on for this question.

As others have said, it is the Step account debit card which is now only accepted at Natwest bank machines. I have this account and also had no letters or any kind of notification but happened to call into the bank a few weeks ago to make a withdrawal and the lady behind the counter explained it to me and opened a standard current account for me which meant I got a new card etc before the changeover.

It only affect people who still have Solo cards and not those with Visa debit cards.

This has posed a problem for my MIL as her benefits are paid into this acct and now unable to access her funds unless she takes £1.60 each way bus ride into town to access her money.

Its dirty and its the banks way of keeping the poor, poorer.

the reason i have money is cos i dont call 0845 numbers and i thought i would ask on here!

bloody draing your lot

mods remove this thread plz

plenty of say no to 0845 type sites out there which give you the real number behind the 0845 / 0870 ...

such as http://www.saynoto0870.com/

unrelated, but unsuprising given where the HSBC 'teletubby land' computer centre is a lot of HSBC numbers have a 'real' underlying Barnsley number (e.g. the normal telephone banking menu can be reached on 01226 261010 - which is useful to know as it'll be included in your free calls rather than the 08457 number - ( it's even printed on the back of the cards in international format)...

This is the email they sent me.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx,

Further to our previous email, I would like to remind you that from 22 November you will only be able to withdraw cash from:

• NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank branded cash machines within the UK and Gibraltar. Please note, there are over 8,000 NatWest and RBS cash machines in the UK, and cash machines in many supermarkets, including those in Tesco and Morrisons, are NatWest or RBS branded

• any NatWest or Post Office® branch counter

• any cash machine outside the UK and Gibraltar which displays the Visa logo (but the owners of these cash machines may charge a fee) and

• retailers that offer cashback to their customers.

These changes are happening because on Tuesday 22 November 2011 your account will change from a STEP Account to a Basic Account.

You don't have to do anything

Your account number, sort code and security details will all remain the same, and any payments, such as your salary, that are paid direct to your account will carry on as they do now. You can also continue using your existing debit card until it expires or we send you a replacement.

If you have any questions, please contact your local branch or call us on 08457 888 444. Customers with hearing or speech difficulties can contact us by Minicom 0845 900 5961.

I have a current account with them as well and without the optional extras like an overdraft, chequebook etc I think its basically the same thing, so ask for that if you dont want to change bank.

Archived