Natwest? useing your card in other machines

I have been into the bank to ask about this, as i have a basic step account which is affected, but i also have a first reserve savings account which isnt affected by the change, so i simply move the money online into the savings account and use that card to withdraw. I think natwest should have left the accounts alone to be honest and it was a pain trying to plan out where i could get to my money, especially at night.

Natwest (or Nastywest as they are more commonly known) downgraded lots of accounts where there was only basic activity going on. They did this without consultation and just enforced it on people. They did it to a couple of mates of mine who work but are on low incomes, apparently if you're poor you're only entitled to a basic account according to this bank.

I think that you can use other cash machines that aren't in the group but you get a charge for doing so.

They did it so save money apparently but I doubt if the customers will see any benefits.

I haven't read the other posts on this thread but I go along with those who say open a new account at another bank.

All banks are s***theads at the end of the day though :hihi:

No it's not at all. I've used my debit card many times to rent cars, both in the UK and abroad. Most large hire companies are absolutely fine with it. In fact I did it a few months ago, in the late summer, to hire a transit.

Not with Enterprise, you wouldn't hire one without a credit card!

I can't remember the last time I used them, although I have before, and I'm 95% sure I only used my debit card on the proviso they could put an earmark on £500, which is the same as they do to a credit card. They just earmark the funds. At the end of the day it makes little difference. A credit card at its limit is as much use as a debit card with nothing on it. If they can earmark the money from a debit card, which they can if there's funds in the account, it's fine.

As I say, I'm 95% sure I've hired a transit from them with my old debit card, but that was a couple of years back. Last time I moved, I used another Sheffield firm, and definitely used my debit card - that was this year.

It's people like your mil that cost banks money. Hence why they have done this

???

Why has it cost people money??? She gets hit with penalties - and pays them - when the DDs bounce. She just wants access to the money shes given to pay her rent and feed her small children.

When my DDs bounce, I dont pay a penalty. I would say its the poor that shouldnt be penalised even further so.

You dont know why shes on benefits so eff off for judging. :rant:

???

Why has it cost people money??? She gets hit with penalties - and pays them - when the DDs bounce. She just wants access to the money shes given to pay her rent and feed her small children.

When my DDs bounce, I dont pay a penalty. I would say its the poor that shouldnt be penalised even further so.

You dont know why shes on benefits so eff off for judging. :rant:

The reason basic account holders cost banks money is because they often do small value cash withdrawals(each one costing). Also basic account holders are less likely to be cross sold credit products.

So banks restrict due to cost as do Lloyds and bank of scotland(bos basic customers not Halifax)

I have both the current & step accounts. The card OB the current account can be used at any machine, the cards on what was the step accounts can only be used at Natwest branches. I was one of the lucky few that was notified about this, my step accounts were nothing to do with my credit as I usually get phone calls etc asking if I want to upgrade all my accounts but the step accounts suit what I use those accounts for. I suggest you go into branch if you don't want to phone & just upgrade your account to the current account - that doesn't mean you have to have an overdraft.

Archived