Depression why such a stigma?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

following the tragic news of the death of Garry Speed there have been many discussions on the radio regarding the subject of depression and its variable effects on different individuals.

while i appreciate that this is by no means a "cheery" topic isn't it sometimes better to bring these things things out the open,so that we can all be more enlightened,and have a better understanding of what some people have to live with.

Stan Collymore's twitter contribution (the link above) offers an insight into how terrible this condition can be.

It's party a hangover from the 'stiff upper lip' days and also partly due to the fact that most people recoil from anyone suffering from depression, they cannot handle it, don't know what to say or even worse, will tell them to pull themselves together. So people like Gary learn to dissemble, which means that they get worse as they have no outlet and internalise their mental and emotional anguish and don't get the much needed help and consequently they end up in a living hell of being unable to externalise their feelings, making them more intense than ever to the extent where death is seen as the only option. I think that it also a gender thing as men are not encouraged to discuss their feelings in the same way that women are.

We are brought up to think we should be able to cope with whatever life throws at us....when we get depressed and we can't cope with everything we feel guilty and so the vicious circle begins

yes how sad to feel guilty though.

in the past three years i have lost two very close family members and from time to time i feel quite guilty for not coping as well as others do.

there are though,so many different causes of depression.

those of us who are not severely affected find it hard to comprehend what it must feel like.

Wow .. re the twitter post ... I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

it sympathise with you Saffy----having read your posts and hearing what you have been through i'm not surprised you feel like this.

does it help at all to share your feelings.

you know like that saying--"a problem shared is a problem halved" to unburden they say is a good thing.

It's party a hangover from the 'stiff upper lip' days and also partly due to the fact that most people recoil from anyone suffering from depression, they cannot handle it, don't know what to say or even worse, will tell them to pull themselves together. So people like Gary learn to dissemble, which means that they get worse as they have no outlet and internalise their mental and emotional anguish and don't get the much needed help and consequently they end up in a living hell of being unable to externalise their feelings, making them more intense than ever to the extent where death is seen as the only option. I think that it also a gender thing as men are not encouraged to discuss their feelings in the same way that women are.

suff you have such a great way of expressing yourself.

i agree with you totally here.

Archived