Depression why such a stigma?

There are many types of depression, from a hormonal imbalance, to feeling blue once in a while, to reactive depression to Manic depression like Stephen fry talked

about. The fact is millions of people suffer at any1 time. It's important we get this stuff out in the open, even if it stops one man or woman hanging themselves its worth it.

There are many types of depression, from a hormonal imbalance, to feeling blue once in a while, to reactive depression to Manic depression like Stephen fry talked

about. The fact is millions of people suffer at any1 time. It's important we get this stuff out in the open, even if it stops one man or woman hanging themselves its worth it.

i couldnt agree more !!!

it sympathise with you Saffy----having read your posts and hearing what you have been through i'm not surprised you feel like this.

does it help at all to share your feelings.

you know like that saying--"a problem shared is a problem halved" to unburden they say is a good thing.

Yes, it does .. Funnily enough, writing it down helps. I did start a thread yesterday because I was feeling so low, and I actually found it therapeutic and even managed a grin or two. I wussed out and asked the thread to be removed as I was feeling so low, and having laid myself bare, would have been even more upset if I had had sarcastic or nasty replies.

Part of the reason that people with depression don't seek help is because of the depression itself. Whilst all of the negativity is going on inside your head it is hard to believe that you, your feelings and your issues are important enough or warrant the help to recover. In your mind it is your failing, your fault, your weakness, not the depression that is making you feel so bad.

Add on top of this the number of people who don't have any understanding and who reinforce this viewpoint by belittling anybody who expresses their feelings or tries to tell people about how bad things really are and you've then got a vicious circle.

I undertook a year of weekly counselling which gave me the tools to recognise the beginnings of my depression cycle and also to both get me out of the hole and prevent myself from falling further down in the event that it happens, and I can't express quite how important the results of this have been in me picking myself up and living whatever life I've got left. I have less fear of the depression and that in itself has resulted in less depression episodes, and what episodes I have are less serious, less damaging and easier to get back out of than previously.

I'm never going to say that I am 'cured' because I feel that the day I'm not vigilant will be the day that it creeps back up on me, but I am no longer scared of being crept up on, which has given me the help that pills never did. The counselling was expensive, but in terms of what it offers my life, it was more than worth it.

Part of the reason that people with depression don't seek help is because of the depression itself. Whilst all of the negativity is going on inside your head it is hard to believe that you, your feelings and your issues are important enough or warrant the help to recover. In your mind it is your failing, your fault, your weakness, not the depression that is making you feel so bad.

Add on top of this the number of people who don't have any understanding and who reinforce this viewpoint by belittling anybody who expresses their feelings or tries to tell people about how bad things really are and you've then got a vicious circle.

I undertook a year of weekly counselling which gave me the tools to recognise the beginnings of my depression cycle and also to both get me out of the hole and prevent myself from falling further down in the event that it happens, and I can't express quite how important the results of this have been in me picking myself up and living whatever life I've got left. I have less fear of the depression and that in itself has resulted in less depression episodes, and what episodes I have are less serious, less damaging and easier to get back out of than previously.

I'm never going to say that I am 'cured' because I feel that the day I'm not vigilant will be the day that it creeps back up on me, but I am no longer scared of being crept up on, which has given me the help that pills never did. The counselling was expensive, but in terms of what it offers my life, it was more than worth it.

Can you reveal from who you received this counselling, my partner has problems and we are struggling to find the right person to seek help.

There's also a lot of denial about depression. I know quite a efw people whom I would say are depressed, however, they will not even ackowledge it, never mind get help as they see it as a sign of weakness.:(

Yes thats very true, my husband never recognised he had a problem and always said it was other people that was conspiring against him. Its very tough for the whole family to watch someone you love dearly slowly sinking deeper and deeper into this person you dont recognise anymore.

There are two very different types of depression (perhaps more)

One is when you have been having a really bad time for an extended period and you are weighed down with your problems.

The other is more physical and is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. I had this second type, and was driven to make a very serious suicide attempt.

Talking to someone is good, but sometimes it won't work. I didn't even know what was wrong with me, so it didn't occur to me to talk to someone. I had gone down into a very dark place and there was only one way out. This could be what happened to Mr Speed. People have said how normal and happy he looked the day before on tv, but that makes sense to me, because once a decision has been made as to how to get out of the dark place, it can paradoxically make one feel better for a while.

It is very hard to be a sufferer from depression, because too many people still think it is just a matter of pulling oneself together. Believe me, it is just not that easy. If you have a relative or friend you think is depressed, give them your love and support in a gentle non pushy way, and be there for them as much as you can.

If the worst happens and suicide results, noone should feel guilty that they couldn't prevent it, or blame the person for being selfish.

Well said,been there and knocked on that door a long time ago,I went to the library and studied book on the problem and sorted myself out once I understood what was causing it.

Archived