Eccentric Sheffield characters

aelfheah

They're was an old(ish) black lady at Castle Square tram stop this afternoon who was singing some gospel stuff and praising everybody at the tram stop and high-fived the tram drivers, conductors and everyone at the tram stop including me! Fruit cake! Cheered me up though!

Yes she was on my bus the other day. She stood at the front of the bus singing Oh Holy Night loudly and fairly off-key and praising everyone between each verse. When she got off the bus driver looked at me in his mirror and said "I couldn't take much more of that" which set me off laughing.

Not eccentric but certainly a character is John who walks from Handsworth to Chapeltown most days wearing green wig and pushing a pram to collect money for Macmillan Cancer Trust - hats off to John, deserves an award:clap::clap:

Exactly, I thought I had taken pains to show that I meant no offence.

I was thinking of characters who, though they may have health issues, do brighten our day by their actions and dress sense.

In that way I don't mean to laugh 'at them' but by their inclusive-ness in society, their chosen acts, which do seem at times 'entertaining'.

I think your post is interesting and not in the least offensive.

There are a number of characters down the years who have made Sheffield a more interesting place. In my childhood it was Pond Street Nora, as she was known.

I don't think anyone thought that she had chosen to be an eccentric - she was obviously mentally retarded (is it still ok to call people that? or is that politically incorrect as well?). The point is, she did add some colour to the local scene and made people smile - which is surely not a bad thing?

There's another guy I've seen in town, a few years ago now mind, and he used to burst into song in the middle of M&S on a busy saturday afternoon. I don't think he was retarded in any way - seemed quite normal - he was just a jolly old boy having a bit of fun. And it brought a great deal of amusement to everyone - he could sing beautifully and in tune - and he usually got a standing ovation at the end! Brilliant!

I agree with the OP that characters like this add something to the local scenery and heaven forbid that we ever get to such a politically correct place as to pretend they don't exist or be too afraid to talk about them.