'Racist' on the London tram

I personally don't care at all about the racist aspect of her comments, I find that quite laughable actually. The disgusting part of her behaviour is the way she was screaming and swearing in front of her little boy. Unforgivable IMO, and it makes me extremely sad that the poor kid has her for a mother.

People are excusing her behaviour. The black woman whom so many are so quick to label as racist, what about her circumstances? A lifetime of racist treatment I wager, and having to listen to that diatribe and be told to go back from whence she came, yet none of you who are so quick to try and come up with 100 possible reasons why the white woman may have been having a bad day and said things that she doesn't mean are prepared to afford the black woman, who made one innocuous comment in retaliation, the same empathy. That says it all really. Back to Shims' earlier point.

I don't think they are. There may be a few. Almost everyone has stated it was wrong, which it is. I don't think there are different levels of racism, one can't be excused because of the others actions. Or we're on dangerous ground.

I'd disagree that there isn't any defence. Saying a racist thing doesn't mean you're a hate filled racist person, it might do but its not conclusive.

If being mentally ill is a legal defence for any other offence, including murder, then it should be seen as a just defence in this instance...If she is ill.

I personally don't care at all about the racist aspect of her comments, I find that quite laughable actually. The disgusting part of her behaviour is the way she was screaming and swearing in front of her little boy. Unforgivable IMO, and it makes me extremely sad that the poor kid has her for a mother.

What's funny about it? Many people find that part of it grossly offensive.

LOL, I snapped "he learnt that from someone" to girl (woman) in a shop yesterday when her son (in a pram) said "i'll f***ing smak ya" to his Dad.

If she was racist she wouldn't have struggled with what to say to offend, it'd be second nature to her already.

We need to see how this started and what she's responding too!

Some people are determined to suggest that someone else did something to her. I've given arguments as to why that is unlikely. People aren't so foolish that they can't understand that there are plenty of bad-minded white people (and others) about.

She was struggling and acting like an idiot in a predicament with her back against the wall. She acted stupidly and made racist comments, as to being an actual racist, it doesn't seem so to me.

Seriously, what would she have to say or do to convince you she really was a racist?

I'd genuinely love to know what would convince you.

Some people are determined to suggest that someone else did something to her. I've given arguments as to why that is unlikely. People aren't so foolish that they can't understand that there are plenty of bad-minded white people (and others) about.

I stand by my earlier post that if there had been some kind of provocation to her outburst, then more people on the tram would have been involved in the ensuing fracas. It's just wishful thinking.

Archived