'Racist' on the London tram

I think what she was saying and her behaviour was disgusting but I'm confused as to what she was arrested under. I've heard incitement to racial hatred? Surely after the event has happened and nothing kicked off it becomes a bit void? I understand arresting people to prevent breach of the peace and would understand her getting arrested mid rant to diffuse a potentially violent situation.

Basically I'm worried that police, CPS etc. Will want to make an example of her to prove how much we all dissaprove of this kind of thing. However I think this could cause the moderate right to swing further to the right, or at least the closet far right to become more vocal if she becomes some kind of martyr.

Its not evidence of her being racist. Its evidence of her saying racist things.

How is saying racist things not racist?

It's an example of racist behaviour, and a person who is behaving racist must be a racist. A person driving a car must be a driver, by the very definition of the word. It doesn't matter if that person has never driven before and never drives after, at that point they are "a driver".

All this dancing around words; It's futile. It's possible for her to regret her actions, apologise, and at that point she would stop being "a racist". Nouns aren't set in stone to be used for the rest of her life.

How is saying racist things not racist?

It's an example of racist behaviour, and a person who is behaving racist must be a racist. A person driving a car must be a driver, by the very definition of the word. It doesn't matter if that person has never driven before and never drives after, at that point they are "a driver".

All this dancing around words; It's futile. It's possible for her to regret her actions, apologise, and at that point she would stop being "a racist". Nouns aren't set in stone to be used for the rest of her life.

We all say things we don't mean in anger. She may be a racist, she may not. I don't really understand your point that she is a racist, but if she says she's sorry then she isn't. Isn't racism more ingrained than that? If this is so I've heard Nick Griffin say they're not racist, are they?

We all say things we don't mean in anger. She may be a racist, she may not. I don't really understand your point that she is a racist, but if she says she's sorry then she isn't. Isn't racism more ingrained than that? If this is so I've heard Nick Griffin say they're not racist, are they?

people seem to have different opinions of a racist are as this thread has shown.

I don't think many believe nick griffin when he says he is not a racist. Maybe he genuinely believes that. Who knows?

I don't really understand your point that she is a racist, but if she says she's sorry then she isn't. Isn't racism more ingrained than that?

Sometimes it is. These are the problems inherent with language. It is possible for someone to be a racist for 10 minutes while they are angry, and possible for someone to quietly be "a racist" on a much deeper level. There are many levels of holding an opinion, surely? The problem here is that we have 1 word to express many levels of hostility.

If you say racist things, in anger or not, then you are being racist, and are therefore at the time racist. It's not complicated. Exhibit racists behaviour and you are racist (at the time).

Sometimes it is. These are the problems inherent with language. It is possible for someone to be a racist for 10 minutes while they are angry, and possible for someone to quietly be "a racist" on a much deeper level. There are many levels of holding an opinion, surely? The problem here is that we have 1 word to express many levels of hostility.

we need some preceeding words, varying levels of racist.

There's your:

hardcore racist

closet racist

casual racist

weekend racist

institutionalised racist

regretfull racist

ironic racist

positive racist

If you say racist things, in anger or not, then you are being racist, and are therefore at the time racist. It's not complicated. Exhibit racists behaviour and you are racist (at the time).

Unless you have the power to look at things in retrospect...It is complIcated, apparently...It seems some people can flip from racist to none racist at the drop of a hat....I'd disagree, either you are or you aren't. IMO people can change over a period of time...but not in a matter of minutes..

Archived