Relaxation Treatments

what are good relaxation techniques and cures to help me have a calm and relaxing evening and sleep, i suffer from depression and find that sleeping and relaxing to be a real challenge, i have medication that helps sometimes with sleep but i do have the odd few days a week where i struggle to sleep

i am on anti-depressants and they cause me to be drowsy at night but as said before, they do not work all the time, i also find at night that i am on the computer a lot till very late and i also have the television on while i am getting to sleep as i do not like total quiet, i find a little background noise helps me relax but this could also be a problem

i also wonder if what i eat effects things as i tend to have a late evening tea around 7 or 8 and wonder if what i am having effects my sleep, i also worry too much and take a lot of mental thoughts to bed with me and i wonder if all that mental baggage is bringing me down, my sleep patterns are up and down and sometimes when i do drop off i tend to find i awake in the middle and have to drop off again

my doctor says that it is more likely due to my depression and low moods that i struggle to relax and she is always reluctant to give me sleeping tablets and that she says it is my moods and living habits that need changing, i also find it very hard to enjoy things and focus on one thing at a time and find i am in situations at home where i have the computer music on, television on, radio on and i am having my tea all at the same time and i am never giving myself time to relax and take things in

are any more people like this and how do they cope with things

have you had a look at the Depression is it a Stigma thread.

post 14 on there gives some helpful advice about the Samaritans.

i only mention this because professional advise would be more advisable if you feel your depression is unmanagable.

only someone with training or personal experience would be in a position to advise you i would think.

you could always ask your GP about about wether there are any Relaxation therapy classes available in Sheffield --and about counseling services.

wishing you well and hope that someone is able to help.

Archived