Fed up with indian food !

iamwoody

I,m getting well fed up with indian / asian food all it seems to be is half a dozen bits of meat in a varying degree of spicy sauces served with rice and some sort of bread ? ie chapatis nans etc , surely this can,t be all that indian / asian people eat ? What do you order when you go out ? can anybody recommend a nice place with a truly authentic range of dishes not just curry and rice done in a british style , cheers

I,m getting well fed up with indian / asian food all it seems to be is half a dozen bits of meat in a varying degree of spicy sauces served with rice and some sort of bread ? ie chapatis nans etc , surely this can,t be all that indian / asian people eat ? What do you order when you go out ? can anybody recommend a nice place with a truly authentic range of dishes not just curry and rice done in a british style , cheers

Try Dhanisthas on London Road.

South Indian and Sri Lankan cooking and totally different from the meat in spicy gravy brigade (which I reckon are all made in a big central factory and then jazzed up in the back of the takeaways....)

I had some authentic stuff in Leicester which was very different from the "meat in gravy with rice" which you get in most places.

The main culinary thing I remember from going to India is the yellow/green watery dal that was served with absolutely everything and the little pooris (sp?) filled with peas and other veg that were sometimes served for breakfast - they were fantastic.

Try Dhanisthas on London Road.

South Indian and Sri Lankan cooking and totally different from the meat in spicy gravy brigade (which I reckon are all made in a big central factory and then jazzed up in the back of the takeaways....)

Another vote for Dhanisthas, and also for East and West on Abbeydale Road. This is also a south indian/sri lankan place.

For more 'traditional' curries, try Chaman on the Wicker. Their Apna dishes and chef's specials have minimal 'spicey gravy' and are great value.

I don,t want curry i,m bored with it what else do asians eat ? they can,t live their lives eating nothing but curry rice and bread there must be more to it ? do they have some sort of roasted meat ? or even asian style steaks not just cut up into half a dozen small peices in a curry but whole peices of meat ? what about vegetables i,ve looked into asian stores and theres loads of different ones i,ve not tried or wouldn,t even know how to start cooking they must do something with them apart from chopping them up and putting them in a curry ? In their freezer section there are different types of fish etc but all they sell in resturants are prawn curry what happens to all this fish ?

I don,t want curry i,m bored with it what else do asians eat ? they can,t live their lives eating nothing but curry rice and bread there must be more to it ? do they have some sort of roasted meat ? or even asian style steaks not just cut up into half a dozen small peices in a curry but whole peices of meat ? what about vegetables i,ve looked into asian stores and theres loads of different ones i,ve not tried or wouldn,t even know how to start cooking they must do something with them apart from chopping them up and putting them in a curry ? In their freezer section there are different types of fish etc but all they sell in resturants are prawn curry what happens to all this fish ?

Try Kebabish on the wicker, grilled lamb chops, steak, liver, chicken etc etc and the sauce that comes with the lamb chops is fab.

Grilled fish is also very nice, pop in and give it a go, I need to go there soon as I havn't been for ages myself.

The Mangla on Spital Hill have a wide range of different dishes and will cook them to suit you so if you fancy something a bit different I'm sure they'd be able to accommodate you. Its my favourite and I have never been disappointed yet. Great value for money too.

Have you been to Kashmiri Aroma in Woodseats? I don't eat fish, but other people I've eaten with there have ordered whole spiced/grilled fish or fish steaks. They also do a really wide range of vegetable dishes (not veg chopped into a curry sauce) and last time I was there, someone I was eating with ordered a lamb shank. I reckon it will have what you are looking for

Archived