Fed up with indian food !

iamwoody

The Mangla on Spital Hill have a wide range of different dishes and will cook them to suit you so if you fancy something a bit different I'm sure they'd be able to accommodate you. Its my favourite and I have never been disappointed yet. Great value for money too.

Thanks but i,ve been to the mangla and although their food tastes good their toilets are disgusting ( so who knows what the kitchen hygienes like !) so won,t be going back there again .

Try Kebabish on the wicker, grilled lamb chops, steak, liver, chicken etc etc and the sauce that comes with the lamb chops is fab.

Grilled fish is also very nice, pop in and give it a go, I need to go there soon as I havn't been for ages myself.

yes i have tried this and it does have some good stuff but is more of a take away than a resturant i was after , but thanks

Have you been to Kashmiri Aroma in Woodseats? I don't eat fish, but other people I've eaten with there have ordered whole spiced/grilled fish or fish steaks. They also do a really wide range of vegetable dishes (not veg chopped into a curry sauce) and last time I was there, someone I was eating with ordered a lamb shank. I reckon it will have what you are looking for

Sounds promising ,cheers

Dhanista's and East & West both serve good South Indian type food, which tends to be more vegetable oriented than North Indian food. Whether you would enjoy actually sitting in those 2 restaurants, given what you said about Mangla, I don't know. Personally, I would use both for take-aways but neither would be my idea of "going out". Dhanista's is a very shabby looking place and East & West is absolutely tiny inside. It's not really a restaurant at all. Even "cafe" is stretching it. But the food is nice and it will give you a bit of something different.

I am not at all impressed with Kashmiri Aroma and neither am I fooled by it's instant rise to fame on TripAdvisor. There are ways to rise up the rankings on such sites - (you've only got to look at the rating of Swanky Franks burger bar on there - which apparently is the best restaurant in Sheffield, to know it's a load of bunkum and is subject to rogue reviews). Anyhow, all I will say about Kashmiri Aroma is that we went in a party of 4 and the meal was ok. Nothing more. I will give it the benefit of the doubt but all 4 of us were slightly underwhelmed.

The best place that I could suggest to you would be Akbar's on Meadow Bank Road. It's a 5 minute drive from Meadowhall. If you go online and have a look at their menu then you'll get some idea. They do a good range of dishes and they are closer to tradtional Asian home cooking than most places. The fish dishes are superb, machli tikka, masala fish - delicious. So are the tandoori lamb chops. I've not come across anywhere in this city or nearby that does this type of food anywhere near as good. Some won't like their "curries" because they aren't spicy gravy and bits of meat - they are different. Like the Akbar e balti, which is a mix of chicken, lamb and mushroom in a dry sauce. Different and delicious. Check out the handi and Desi-Apha dishes in particular for something different. See here...

http://www.akbars.co.uk/menu.php?id=21

and no I don't work there. But I've used Akbars for years before it came to Sheffield. I used to work with a lot of Asian professional clients in West Yorkshire and it was one of the few places they would go to eat, for the very reason that the food was close to what they would have in their own homes.

I am not at all impressed with Kashmiri Aroma and neither am I fooled by it's instant rise to fame on TripAdvisor. There are ways to rise up the rankings on such sites - (you've only got to look at the rating of Swanky Franks burger bar on there - which apparently is the best restaurant in Sheffield, to know it's a load of bunkum and is subject to rogue reviews). Anyhow, all I will say about Kashmiri Aroma is that we went in a party of 4 and the meal was ok. Nothing more. I will give it the benefit of the doubt but all 4 of us were slightly underwhelmed.

Each to their own but I've never had a bad meal at Kashmiri Aroma. I used to live in Woodseats and ate there often. I do tend to stick with curry though so can't comment on the 'other' styles of dishes that the OP was looking for.

Akbars always gets good reviews but I was disappointed when I went. Maybe I just picked a bad night though.

Each to their own but I've never had a bad meal at Kashmiri Aroma. I used to live in Woodseats and ate there often. I do tend to stick with curry though so can't comment on the 'other' styles of dishes that the OP was looking for.

Akbars always gets good reviews but I was disappointed when I went. Maybe I just picked a bad night though.

I've never had a bad meal at Kashmiri Aroma - just very ordinary that's all. Certainly not bad.

I think if you are going to an Indian restaurant and your preference is for the pappadom, bhaji, standard curry (like korma, masala, madras, vindaloo, bhuna), rice and naan - then you don't need to go to Akbars - you can get that anywhere and you'd probably enjoy it just as much somewhere else, maybe even more. But if you want to be a bit more adventurous then I don't think there's anywhere in this area that comes close to Akbars. I don't know what you chose to have, but if you do go again, try some of the fish dishes, maybe as starters, or the handi or apna dishes. It may do it for you, it may not. But to me that's why you'd choose to go to Akbars, not for the standard fare that you can get anywhere, but for something a bit different.

Having said that - I see loads of families with their vindaloo and chips when I go there -so it does cater for all tastes!

The naan bread is exceptional btw - brought fresh from the oven on a huge spike to the table. Anywhere else in Sheffield do it like this? I'm not aware that there is. Im most places it's a tiny little thing brought to the table in a basket and not freshly made on the premises like at Akbars.

The other thing I'd say is that I've never found the standards to be any different at Akbar's. It's always consistently very, good quality. And it's exactly the same standard if you eat at Akbars in Leeds, or Manchester or anywhere else. They've got a formula which they stick to. I think what this means though, is that if you didn't rate it last time, no point in going back again because it wont be any different. Unless you go for a different range of dishes perhaps.

Enjoy!

I think if you are going to an Indian restaurant and your preference is for the pappadom, bhaji, standard curry (like korma, masala, madras, vindaloo, bhuna), rice and naan - then you don't need to go to Akbars - you can get that anywhere and you'd probably enjoy it just as much somewhere else, maybe even more. But if you want to be a bit more adventurous then I don't think there's anywhere in this area that comes close to Akbars.

Did you try this one at Akbars:

Vegetable Achari Balti £7.85

Mixed vegetables cooked in a tangy and spicy flower.

Certainly seems quite exotic!

I don,t want curry i,m bored with it what else do asians eat ? they can,t live their lives eating nothing but curry rice and bread there must be more to it ? do they have some sort of roasted meat ? or even asian style steaks not just cut up into half a dozen small peices in a curry but whole peices of meat ? what about vegetables i,ve looked into asian stores and theres loads of different ones i,ve not tried or wouldn,t even know how to start cooking they must do something with them apart from chopping them up and putting them in a curry ? In their freezer section there are different types of fish etc but all they sell in resturants are prawn curry what happens to all this fish ?

There is no rule saying you have to eat asian food:confused:

Here's another vote for Akbar's and Dhanistas.

Although Dhanistas is somewhat shabby, as a previous poster pointed out, the food is superb and very cheap. The service can be on the slow side, but the staff are so lovely that it's hard to be frustrated by that.

I absolutely love the masala dosa, which couldn't be further from the idea of a "curry." The saag paneer is fantastic too - so different from the spinachy slop that some curry houses serve up.

Akbar's is entirely different and is far more upmarket, yet of course more expensive. The food is incredible and, while there are "normal curries" on the menu", it's far more interesting to go off-piste and try the more adventurous dishes. I've been to Akbar's branches several times and have always had an absolutely top-notch meal.

The Aaagrah at Leopold Square is similar and of course is in town, so might be more convenient. I'd thoroughly recommend their vegetable thali and tikka paneer, washed down with a mango lassi.

Archived