Fed up with indian food !

iamwoody

Get on friendly terms with your favourite establishment and talk to them.

The curries are cooked for an 'English pallette' and are not really that authentic to be honest......try asking for a tikka massala in Kolkata and see what happens.

Tell the establishment that you know that the dishes are cooked differently and ask them what they usually have to eat.

Ask them to cook something 'Asian style'.

This is what I do at my local curry house and I'm very happy with what I'm getting.....each dish is distinctly different and they have more depth and subtle flavour.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

OP sounds like you're fed up with Pakistani and north Indian food which I think still dominates when it comes to "Indian" restaurants in Sheffield.

I now live in the middle east amongst loads of indias/Pakistanis/neplese/bangladeshis/Sri lankans and now realise how much more there is to indian/south Asian food. I also travel to india very frequently.

As others have said south indian/sri lankan food is very different from what you usually get in Sheffield. Southern/Sri lankan food is more veg or fish based and less stodgy. It's often spicier too.

Saying you don't like Indian (or Chinese) food is the equivalent to saying you don't like European food. There are huge regional differences so try to test as many as you can. The most popular isn't always the best.

That said I'm longing for some good british-indian nosh when I get home to sheff for xmas next week!

• 4 weeks later...
I don,t want curry i,m bored with it what else do asians eat ? they can,t live their lives eating nothing but curry rice and bread there must be more to it ? do they have some sort of roasted meat ? or even asian style steaks not just cut up into half a dozen small peices in a curry but whole peices of meat ? what about vegetables i,ve looked into asian stores and theres loads of different ones i,ve not tried or wouldn,t even know how to start cooking they must do something with them apart from chopping them up and putting them in a curry ? In their freezer section there are different types of fish etc but all they sell in resturants are prawn curry what happens to all this fish ?

I would go with what another poster said and try going into an good indian restaurant and say you are fed up with the usual 'english' indian food and will they cook something more authentic and a bit different for you. I bet they would love it.

Archived