Fed up with indian food !

iamwoody

Thanks but i,ve been to the mangla and although their food tastes good their toilets are disgusting ( so who knows what the kitchen hygienes like !) so won,t be going back there again .

you've just proved a point that I made in the post about Dhanista's - the one relating to British Airways.

Having travelled a lot through Asia my opinion is that hygiene is at a premium there - as you might expect in a 3rd world country - but I'm not convinced about the hygiene of some of these places in this country either.

I know Mangla is very popular as a budget place - it has been for years. I used to take clients there at one time, mostly Indian clients in fact. The last time I ate there, about a year ago, I was ill all weekend. And it was food-related and couldn't have been anything other than what I ate there.

If they can't keep the public areas clean then what are their standards like in the areas you don't get to see?

Are these guys washing their hands after going to the toilets?

When you come away from a place and pick up a bug that is passed on by the oro-faecal route (mouth-bum for those who don't know what that is) then it's not really a good reason to go back is it?

In my opinion - and in answer to the OP - I'd say that there is an awful lot more to Indian food than curry with bits of meat in a universal gravy. But that's what most people actually want, well, most Brits anyhow.

If you take a look at the menu on Akbar's site or Aagrah you will get some idea of what can be had. They do a lot of dishes that the cheap run of the mill Bangladeshi places don't. Look out for the fantastic range of tandoori starters, the fish, especially, is delicious.

But if you just want your onion bhaj's, pappadams and chicken tikka masala then it is wasted on you really.

Try looking up the Painted Heron restaurant in London sometime if you want a really different, upmarket, Indian dining experience.

Archived