Where/how did the Royals acquire their wealth?

I mean right at the beginning. How did royals become... royal? Was it simply through plunder and self-appointment?

How did a German dynasty end up being enthroned and adored by ordinary British people (even before they changed their name to Windsor)? What was/is so special about them?

If everything the royals and various nobility around the world enjoy today are essentially the inherited fruits of past plunders and forgotten feudal acquisitions, why on earth do we glorify and pander to their status as if they are somehow noble? Why do we bow (and not in the mutual, humbling way like in far eastern cultures) to people who are flesh and blood like us?

I accept that we are all essentially inheritors of the resulting wealth of past conquest, but the difference is we generally don't think of ourselves as nobility, i.e. more deserving of privilege than anyone else.

If everything the royals and various nobility around the world enjoy today are essentially the inherited fruits of past plunders and forgotten feudal acquisitions, why on earth do we glorify and pander to their status as if they are somehow noble? Why do we bow (and not in the mutual, humbling way like in far eastern cultures) to people who are flesh and blood like us?

I accept that we are all essentially inheritors of the resulting wealth of past conquest, but the difference is we generally don't think of ourselves as nobility, i.e. more deserving of privilege than anyone else.

Sickening isn't it. I for one bow before no-one, and I will not call anyone 'Sir' or 'Lord' or recognise any title associated with such things.

Our current royal house came here because they had the huge advantage of being protestant. There were British people above the Dutch born German Princess, Sophia of Hanover, but they were Catholic (the end of The House of Stuart) and thus we invited her son, George I, a foreigner, to come and be King himself.

How they made their money. The usual way; land, one imagines. They were descended from someone who was rewarded after fighting and taking land off someone else.

One of their distant relatives fought a battle, won and declared himself monach.

Yet if I punched the Queen in the face and declared myself monach I'd be the one arrested!

Perhaps so, but then not everybody thinks it should be legal to punch a diminutive 80-year-old woman in the face, even if your left wing political misguidance causes you not to support her position.

Sickening isn't it. I for one bow before no-one, and I will not call anyone 'Sir' or 'Lord' or recognise any title associated with such things.

Me neither Jimmy, people earn respect. That being said I have lot of respect for quite a few people on here and at work. I have utmost respect for my OH who is honest and hard-working. I don't believe that just because people have privilege and wealth that they are better than me but neither do I think all rich people are worse either. There is good and bad in all walks of life:D:love:

Perhaps so, but then not everybody thinks it should be legal to punch a diminutive 80-year-old woman in the face, even if your left wing political misguidance causes you not to support her position.

But it was alright for one of her distant relatives to chop the head off some other bloke and proclaim himself ruler?

Are you saying violence is only acceptable when you decree it to be so?

Your typical right wing political misguidance.....blah...blah....blah...blah...

Archived