Where/how did the Royals acquire their wealth?

I have nothing against the royals really they are the fabric of this country and the history, but there seems to to be to many hangers on lady this and prince that there are loads of them that we have to support, when they get married to each other it costs millions to the tax payers,the Queen is a lovely lady and she dos a good job for the country in general its just the rest of them that get me mad when you see them swanning about and the country is on it arse and from what Iv'e heard they don't even have to pay tax like we do,I think if you look at every thing they have non of it will have been got through work

I have nothing against the royals really they are the fabric of this country and the history, but there seems to to be to many hangers on lady this and prince that there are loads of them that we have to support

We don't support them; quite the reverse. The money given to the taxpayer as income from their estates is vastly bigger than the money given to them, by the taxpayer, from the Civil List.

That was why the Civil List was instituted in the first place; so that Government could grab all the income from their privately-owned lands.

I have nothing against the royals really they are the fabric of this country and the history, but there seems to to be to many hangers on lady this and prince that there are loads of them that we have to support, when they get married to each other it costs millions to the tax payers,the Queen is a lovely lady and she dos a good job for the country in general its just the rest of them that get me mad when you see them swanning about and the country is on it arse and from what Iv'e heard they don't even have to pay tax like we do,I think if you look at every thing they have non of it will have been got through work

You are right to say the queen is lovely.I have met her once or twice when working for British Rail back in 1977 during the Jubilee down in Portsmouth.We had her in the Royal carriage as it were and had to put out the tapis rouge as they say.No end of security bods inspecting the lockers on the station and it was the only time the litter bins were emptied.

So what you've gained from your family's efforts is earned, but what someone else has gained from their family's efforts is mere accident of birth?

Being a monarch isn't earnt.

If she had to qualify for the job you might have a point. My family taught me to work hard so I could qualify for something. I was lucky to have them. I have not been given a job, irrelevant of my talents and aptitude, because my mother also held it.

That was why the Civil List was instituted in the first place; so that Government could grab all the income from their privately-owned lands.

The Crown Estate isn't private. If it was private then the Government would have no claim on it.

The Crown Estate is what is left over from the Norman/Plantagenet lands, the Duchy of Cornwall is also like this, and after the Civil War and again after the Glorious Revolution, when we invited people to be monarch (Charles II, William of Orange) they had no legal claim on it so it was classed as belonging to the Crown and not the person.

You are right to say the queen is lovely.I have met her once or twice when working for British Rail back in 1977 during the Jubilee down in Portsmouth.We had her in the Royal carriage as it were and had to put out the tapis rouge as they say.No end of security bods inspecting the lockers on the station and it was the only time the litter bins were emptied.

If she's that lovely why does she not tell people "oh don't be daft, you don't have to bow to me dear... and please, call me Lizzy". :|

Think of the loveliest, most down to earth people you know... are you telling me the queen, in all her pompous, self righteousness is in the same league of "loveliness" or just "lovely as queens go"?

Being a monarch isn't earnt.

If she had to qualify for the job you might have a point. My family taught me to work hard so I could qualify for something. I was lucky to have them. I have not been given a job, irrelevant of my talents and aptitude, because my mother also held it.

The Throne is no less a hand-me-down than your great grans pot swan ornament. Surely you don't want everyone to be force to hand in their ancestors knick-knacks?

Archived