Orange increasing monthly charges

In reality can a person with no legal expertise read a full contract and understand what it might mean when a rich companies legal team design/find loopholes so that they can force you to pay more?

i don't think they're that difficult to understand, people just can't be bothered. There's a lot of definitions in them as standard i.e. 'by applicant we mean you, by service we mean this; blah blah blah'

it's boring yes but not complicated.

i don't think they're that difficult to understand, people just can't be bothered. There's a lot of definitions in them as standard i.e. 'by applicant we mean you, by service we mean this; blah blah blah'

In this case it is complicated though. So much so that even OFCOM aren't sure whether it's fair and legal.

It is completely legal to put up the price within the time of the contract. It's whether they can tie you to this contract after they do this that is the issue.

I'll be honest and say I'd not read the small print so expected to pay £35 for 24 months.

I live and learn.

If they get away with this, you can bet all the others will follow suit

well yes the words are easy to understand but a non legal expert will not understand the inferences and loopholes i.e. what could happen. I am talking further down in the contract than "the applicant" bits.

I don't see the point a lot of the time, if I read my rental contract all the way through I could disagree wth something, they would give the house to someone else and the next contract would have the same issue. I could only get it changed with help from someone with legal knowledge by which time the house will have gone. I guess thats why we have CAB and the ombudsmens.

It depends what it is though!

I just had the dreaded text that tells me my monthly contract is going up by 4.34%. They also give you an obscure link to explain it http://link.orangeworld.co.uk/studio/paymchanges/planupdate/

On that page it says they can pretty much do as they like, up to and including the current cost of inflation (5% I believe now). So basically if you've got a pay monthly mobile contract with Orange, then you're up S*** Creek without a paddle.

Here's someone who won't be renewing his Orange contract next time. Mind you, thats still gos knows how long away!!!!...GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Just received this text message:

'Hi from Orange, as of 1st January, we are increasing your monthly package by 4.34%, for more information, visit this link.'

So I went to the link where it rambles on about passing on inflation increases to it's customers. (In January?)

I don't get it. Can they do this? I took out the contract in April.

Archived