Strikes: Who will pay

Do you want to pay more taxes for pensions?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to pay more taxes for pensions?

• Yes
    • No

Odd, I have been led to believe that the public sector pensions are put into long term "safe" investments, hence Osbourne asking the pension fund managers to invest in his civil works programme.

That’s private pension funds, public sector contributions are more like IOU's for the future generations to pay.

Well, unless it's all changed very recently.

Otherwise can you kindly explain how a small contribution can turn into a pensionable wage later... that is how it works. And that was headlines within the last few days!

It hasn't changed recently. You are just badly informed.

Some public sector schemes do have small contributions, that is true. My contribution is higher than most. And higher than the figure that Andy posted earlier in the thread.

What percentage of your pay goes into your pension, out of interest?

So you're happy getting shortchanged and the rest of us should be as well?

If the private sector is short changed as you put it, the public sector must also suffer because the private sector pays for the public sector. If the private sector makes no money the public sector can't exist.

That’s private pension funds, public sector contributions are more like IOU's for the future generations to pay.

No. You've got that wrong. My contribution is paying the IOU of a previous generation. Then the next generation pays mine and so on. It works too.

It hasn't changed recently. You are just badly informed.

Some public sector schemes do have small contributions, that is true. My contribution is higher than most. And higher than the figure that Andy posted earlier in the thread.

What percentage of your pay goes into your pension, out of interest?

I save it under my mattress, ssh! (self employed)

Maybe this yields as to why I was deluded...

Most public servants, with the exception of local government staff and university lecturers, are members of unfunded pension schemes in which the pensions are paid for out of general taxation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14134847

I save it under my mattress, ssh! (self employed)

I don't blame you. The performance of private pensions is a scandal. We should all be campaigning for decent pensions.

As for being deluded, it is a really complicated subject. Far more complex than the Government and the media would have you believe.

If the private sector is short changed as you put it, the public sector must also suffer because the private sector pays for the public sector. If the private sector makes no money the public sector can't exist.

You're wrong. The public sector has existed independently from private business for hundreds of years until it became a political football for the cretins in the commons to kick about - That's when the two started being billed as codependent and interlinked.

Private pension funds were raided, devalued and sacrificed by your employers to appease the government and folk want to criticise us for not following your mistakes? Please.

So, from my new understanding!

It's still through taxation that it'll be paid!

And it's probably got worse since the last government sold everything it / we owned, including the gold!

That depends upon your viewpoint.

I pay my income tax. I then pay another 7% into my pension. I don't have to do this, but if I don't pay, I don't get.

So, I could have been 7% better off all of my life, but with no pension. From my point of view, my pension payments pay for my pension. (With a contribution from my employer, who gets it from the taxpayer:wink: )

Archived