Anyone know what those dangly things are on motorway bridges?

Something that's intrigued me for years, and I have no clue what they are.

Hanging from most motorway bridges and even pedestrian bridges are usually a pair of what look like 'cow bells'. They're usually a sort of dark grey (ish) colour and point towards the oncoming traffic. I know they're not cameras (cos there's too many of them)

Anyone privy to what they actually are? It's baffled me for years!

Don't ya just know it. Someone's going to come back and say "it's obvious they're xxxxxx, and I'm going to feel really silly!....lol

These things? See lower down the page for ones on bridges:

http://www.abd.org.uk/blue-cam.htm

No not those things nicky. Cos they 'are' obviously cameras.

I don't think the things I mean are cameras, cos like I said there's waaaay too many of them, and they are usually on a fairly flimsy looking rod sticking out from the parapet. It's difficult to explain, if you've never noticed them. But they are on virtually every structure that crosses the motorway(s).

I'd be absolutely stunned if they are ALL cameras. I think I can recognise most motorway cameras, cos it's obvious that that's what they are.

Im 90% sure they are ANPR cams or arrearage speed. Something to do with the traffic flow. If there is too much traffic on a stretch of motorway a few miles back they will set the speed limit to 50 to stop it getting worse.

Well. Thats what i thought anyway? I remember someone telling me that on my SIA CCTV course

Archived