Conway mussels..

RJRB

Yes, the Scottish rope grown mussels are a lot cleaner and look neater. The Conway mussels have a large beard and are often barnacle encrusted so need more preparation so I can see why restaurants and supermarkets shun Conway mussels.

But the Conway mussels are so superior in size and taste that anyone with any taste would prefer them. The supermarket rope grown mussels are tiny inside and tasteless - typical supermarket sanitised rubbish!

What's the reason for the September to April season? Is it so the mussels can breed?

they tend to spawn April time when they go milky , but the reason for the season and when the licence for fishing conwy was drawn up over 30 years ago when 30-40 men worked conwy was for the mussels to recover but now there are only 4 full time so more than enough mussels

they tend to spawn April time when they go milky , but the reason for the season and when the licence for fishing conwy was drawn up over 30 years ago when 30-40 men worked conwy was for the mussels to recover but now there are only 4 full time so more than enough mussels

A good reason to allow full time fishing if there are so few fishermen left. I hope you win your case.

if you go to conwy on a weekend you can get conwy mussels from the lifeboat station on the quay .

or conwy mussels co is open from 8am midweek till about midday .

down on the quay

Cheers, I'm less than 45 mins away so am round that area quite often. The food festival was outstanding.

Keep up the excellent work. Were you one of the guys filmed with Michael Portillo earlier this year for his Great Railway Journeys programme?

Cheers, I'm less than 45 mins away so am round that area quite often. The food festival was outstanding.

Keep up the excellent work. Were you one of the guys filmed with Michael Portillo earlier this year for his Great Railway Journeys programme?

yes that was me with him , my 5 minutes of fame i was a bag of nerves :hihi:

funny thing running in to this thread just browsing Google .

i am one of the last few fishing the conwy river for mussels only 4 of us left full time i supply a company conwy mussels who sell them to some fish markets in Birmingham and some place in Sheffield i don't know where tho , i will find out where they are sold for you guys tomorrow .

not just saying it because i fish them but there is no other mussels like conwy`s we had a food festival here in October and food critics from London, Australia, and Canada and all said they were the best tasting mussels they have every had ,only downside we have is with the larger mussels people don't like the barnacles on them

we still fish for them with long rakes very very hard back breaking work but i really enjoy it . i filmed a short video about 2 years ago and stuck it on you tube i cant add a link but just type in conwy mussels or welshboyjam and you will see how we fish for them

Hi welsh mussel,

I went into my local fish mongers and he doesn't stock the Conwy mussels any more. That's Ecclesall Fisheries that I recommended further up the thread, wrongly as it turns out.

He told me that there was someone came over from N Wales delivering the mussels to Manchester and Sheffield, but he's stopped coming. He also agreed that the Conwy mussels were better than the Scottish rope grown ones he now has.

Do you know which place in Sheffield your mate sells them to now?

Archived