Jesus was Jewish, so God must be Jewish

an objective benchmark for morality against which to test one's own favoured type.

Which they clearly are not. Or are you trying to say that slavery is moral? Also... What is immoral about blasphemy?

Which they clearly are not. Or are you trying to say that slavery is moral? Also... What is immoral about blasphemy?

I'm not 'trying to say' anything. I am stating what a set of rules prescribes, whether you like it or not (and irrespective of agreement).

Slavery, in this context, means two things, by the way. Don't confuse them! They are:

1. USA-type subjugation, abolished there but still regrettably practised in Asia/Africa: bad.

2. Fixed-term indentured labour (e.g. to repay to the employer what the employee stole or owes): not so bad.

I'm not 'trying to say' anything. I am stating what a set of rules prescribes, whether you like it or not (and irrespective of agreement).

Slavery, in this context, means two things, by the way. Don't confuse them! They are:

1. USA-type subjugation, abolished there but still regrettably practised in Asia/Africa: bad.

2. Fixed-term indentured labour (e.g. to repay to the employer what the employee stole or owes): not so bad.

They are both utterly despicable, the fact that one type is worse than the other doesn't change that.

Also, you've forgotten the third type, practised by the Israelites in the Old Testament all the time, and that is taking the women of your defeated opponents as sex slaves.

To suggest that we should use the morals of such people as a basis for our own is at best laughable, and at worst disgusting.

Also, you've forgotten the third type, practised by the Israelites in the Old Testament all the time, and that is taking the women of your defeated opponents as sex slaves.

Wrong, as usual. You really don't know very much about what happened then, do you?

Read Josephus, then post back here [in that order, please].

But, yet again, they're not a basis for a system of law- rather, an objective benchmark for morality against which to test one's own favoured type.

uhmmm......

Any legal system, and any religion's own rules, needs benchmarking objectively. That's the Seven Laws, in a nutshell.

.....what?

Archived