World of Difference

Hippogriff

Popped along West Street this evening, after work, with our lass. She fancied going to The Saffron Club, for her first time, so I readily agreed. We got in there and it was empty (early I guess). The guy asked us to sit in the waiting area and I said it didn't matter, we'd be happy to sit down - so he let us. Our lass asked for Cranberry Juice, but they didn't have that, she then asked for fresh orange, but they didn't have that... so she settled for packet orange. I raised my eyebrow at her, but she seemed OK.

I asked for a pint of lemonade and the guy said "we only do small bottles", so I politely asked if he could make me up a pint (probably using two bottles, right?) which he seemed unable to comprehend. I looked at our lass, she smiled, I said "I've had enough" and we left.

Took a little walk down the road, saw Piccolo's... thought "they won't be able to fit us in" but asked anyway, they could. Amazing world of difference. A really warm welcome... then I got my pint of lemonade and our lass got her cranberry juice.

When it came time to order we got a spicy, tomato, garlic bread - great - and I thought "let's see how flexible they are" so I went for a basic spaghetti bolognaise (called ragu there), but I said "can I have a load more spaghetti than normal and not as much sauce as normal - I really enjoy it kind of dry" - no problem.

And that's what came. I cook a better spaghetti bolognaise (of course!) but it's what I fancied at the time and I really enjoyed it.

I left a big tip and left feeling happy.

Anyway, that's not my real reason for this post - although I thought I'd bleat on for a moment or two... the real reason is to ask whether anyone has been into the Betty's Traditional Fish and Chip shop that I just saw at the top of Fitzwilliam Street.

How incredibly brave for someone to open up a business like that round there, surrounding by ten-a-penny kebab shops and curry houses. I will be trying it.

I hope people can tell me it's good?

Not eaten at Saffron Club but according to TripAdvisor it is something out of this world. I think your post puts things nicely into perspective.

Re Betty's - didn't know about this so thanks for alerting us. The name is good isn't it? I can picture some chubby lady with double chin and elbows, dousing slender fillets of cod in a creamy white batter and shaking up the chips in the pan, with non-brewed condiment and salt shaker on the counter and loads of old newspapers to wrap them in.

I hope the reality is as good. Fish & Chips used to be a cheap meal until the burger and kebab houses arrived. Then they realised that they were in the same business and increased prices to match. I would rather have good fish and chips anyday than burgers or kebabs but they are difficult to come by.

I hope Betty's is good - if not, she'll need some help on TripAdvisor from the same folks that made Saffron so popular for no apparent reason?

Went in sat night approx 6.30 (fish and chip shop) £1.30 for a box of chips not to bad as decent amount but on opening the box further down the road, chips were nearly cold, shame as they tasted nice but could not be bothered to walk back to shop. Time will tell on this shop.

Archived