The one percent

That's a US article, the US doesn't really have class distinction in the same way the UK does.

In the UK though you don't need to be earning hundreds of millions to be in the top 1% income bracket.

I expect that a good portion of the posters on here will be into the 10% or 5% bracket, with probably a smattering of those into the 1%.

Of course these figures are for salaried people, but millions are clearly not needed to be in the upper earning group.

Yes I know it is a US article.

Not sure about 1% in Uk... maybe earning millions? <shrugs> maybe someone will look it up for us.. but all my points still stand anyway.

You come across as either a raving militant leftie OR just plain old Jealous.

Wouldn't you like to be in a job where you could wipe 40% off the value of the company and still be given multi-million pound bonuses and take massive perks... oblivious to your shareholders?

I would have thought just about anyone on some level would.

But I would prefer more than that for society to be run such that there aren't people with the sort of privelege where they are unaccountable for their actions.

Two intelligent posts in a row. Let me see if I can complete the hat trick.

Surely having winners is a good thing. Human nature dictates that we will always be competitive. It isn't the existence of the 1% that is the problem, but what they choose to do with their wealth.

The Victorian philanthropists were the 1% of their day, but they were also a force for good within their society. In my opinion, we should be expecting the same of our ultra wealthy individuals and corporations. I know quite a few wealthy individuals, most of them use a proportion of their wealth in very constructive ways.

I agree many in the 1% are philanthropic and no doubt good people, generous on a personal level. Those that I have met have been good charitable caring people.

But i do think social inequality and privelege in many ways is detrimental to society. Everyone should be accountable for their actions.

I agree many in the 1% are philanthropic and no doubt good people, generous on a personal level. Those that I have met have been good charitable caring people.

But i do think social inequality and privelege in many ways is detrimental to society. Everyone should be accountable for their actions.

For me, the main problem is lack of equality of opportunity. We all know of the east/west disparity in our city. Somehow, we need to ensure that children in S2 have the same level of opportunity as those in S10 (other postcodes are available:)). Then, if people don't take advantage of those opportunities, tough. I'm thinking of health, education and housing mainly.

Taxing the rich until their pips squeak wont work, we need to find ways to encourage them to pay their dues, however that might be.

It should be remembered that equal opportunity is not the same as being equal.

Indeed not. I thought I'd been quite clear about that.

Trouble is, we have neither at the moment.

You did, I was just reinforcing your point.

I'm not sure that it's as bad as you suggest though. Opportunity abounds for those who want it and are capable of taking it. All to often though people use 'lack of equal opportunity' as a smokescreen for their own failings, knowingly or otherwise.

Put simply - we're not all equal.

By the time we are old enough to become self determining, the damage is often already done. We really need to work on improving opportunity for our youngsters.

In what ways were you thinking?

If I knew the answers, I'd be the one with the massive wealth:)

I do know that there is a pressing need for radical reform to schools in the poorest parts of the city. I've seen first hand the difficulties that arise from working in our most challenging secondary schools. By that I mean difficulties for staff and for students. This is one factor that discourages some people from living in certain parts of the city.

Law and order is a big issue and health is too. How you tackle these is a real problem. Part of the answer must lie in improving infrastructure, but part also lies in involving local people in their own communities.

Archived