A Levels as an adult..

I studied a full French A-Level via distance learning, but never sat an exam. I found it impossible to find anyone that would examine me as external. I had one quote of around £400 and I would still have to negotiate to pay a teacher to act as vigilator.

Thus, I left it. It is on my CV under 'Languages' and not under 'Qualifications'.

It may not be the same for you, though it is something to bear in mind.

Hiya, Try searching for Access to HE diploma on the college website. I'm just doing a Health Science access course, it is a nationally recognised qualification at Level 3. Level 3 is the same as A level. The course is specifically for adults and is usually over about 3 days a week. They run for approx 31 weeks. There are many different subjects you can apply for and if you don't already have 5 GCSE's grades A-C it is funded by the college, you can also do GCSE maths and english at the same time. Hope this helps, PM me if you need any more info.

You don't have to do Maths and English at A Level if you don't think they're appropriate for what you intend to do next; it's at GCSE where, for example, higher education demands a C or above in those subjects for most courses. Maths, Physics and Electronics would be a good combination, though, if you want to have a full-time course load and that's the general area you're interested in. However, you might find it difficult to find a college that offers A Level Electronics to adult learners. Remember that although entrance requirements are often flexible for mature students, some colleges will demand a B or even an A at GCSE Maths for access to the A Level Maths course; you'll certainly need a C just to ensure that you're up to the course content.

Your best bet with science subjects - and other subjects that involve a practical component, such as lab- or classroom-based assessment - is to look at the options offered by Sheffield College. Give them a ring.

You'll find it easier to do A Level Maths as a private candidate than the other subjects you mentioned, as it's possible to have each unit of that subject assessed by examination, and as such it will be easier to find an accommodating assessment centre.

Wow - I'm amazed that it's so hard to find a centre that'd let you sit the exam, but I guess it's the coursework that takes the time.

Sounds like a market some of us ex-teachers could fill.

Perhaps one of the home-schooling people could help you; presumably their kids enter exams as external candidates.

Archived