Collecting autographs

zakes

COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS 17

LEEDS UNITED PART 2. EARLY 70'S.

1) As Leeds United were successful in those days, there always seemed to be lots of pics of them in the football annuals and magazines. To get the pics signed, I would occasionally midweek bunk it on the train up to Leeds and get the autographs after the players had finished training for the day. Another possibilty was when Leeds had played on the Saturday in London. They would travel back home on the Yorkshire Pullman that made a stop at Doncaster (20:00ish). I (we) would then look through the window of the train with imploring looks, then pass our annuals and folders through the little window to be signed. Although the Yorkshire Pullman stood in the station for about 10 minutes, it was impossible for any of us to jump onto the train for a few minutes, because there were uniformed blokes stood at every door to prevent undesirables like us getting on. On those (the train) occasions we didn't get many "graphs".

The best time(s) to get Leeds United signatures was when they played in Sheffield. They would arrive on Friday (19:00 approx) on their Wallace Arnold coach at the Hallam Towers Hotel on Fulwood Road. This was a great opportunity for me (us) to "clear up" (get every pic signed) because you could approach the players:-

(A) Getting off the coach

(B) When any took a stroll before or after dinner

© Coming back from the stroll

(D) Players taking a stroll before or after breakfast on Saturday morning

(E) Coming back from the stroll

(F) Leaving hotel to board coach for the day's match.

Our chance of getting signatures were enhanced when players came out for their strolls in 2's and 3's. If they would have come out en-masse we would have struggled because they would be chatting away and it would be difficult to catch their attention. The 2's and 3's were best because they would stand still (generally) and sign. The nice ones were - Madeley, Charlton and Gray(e). The worst Reaney and Bremner.

2) Jack(ie) Charlton)

Mr Charlton was a footballer I came across on many occasions during my "graphing" career. He always signed my stuff, and was one of a score or so of footballing people who always remembered me and addressed me by my Christian name. He was like an uncle to me (I already had an Uncle Jack tho).

It was always a nice feeling to be called by my name, but it never tempted me to "return the favour". I do really believe I got a load more autographs than I would have done, because I insisted on calling them Mr (his surname) or Sir. If any of them asked me a question, Mr or Sir would be the last word of my reply. It was important to me to show an open face, be sincere and show respect. Other "graphers" would have gotten more signatures if they wouldn't have taken the path of familiarity as they did. Serves 'em reight.

Monday May 7, 1973. Today was the day of Jack Charlton's testimonial match - Leeds United V Glasgow Celtic. Two days prior (5th) Leeds had lost the F.A Cup Final against Sunderland. In two days time (9th) Leeds would be playing against Arsenal in the League, this on top of Jack Charlton being offered the Middlesbrough manager's job on the (8th tomorrow). Phew! What a week for Mr Charlton, and the best was yet to come.... He'd be meeting me for the umpteenth time! LOL.

Mid morning I had boarded the Leeds City bound train on platform 2 at Midland Station. The train was one of those DMU bug-car type things that seemed to stop at every damned one-horse hamlet atween Sheffield and Leeds. Having arrived I then boarded a bus to Elland Road.

Walking through the car park I looked to the left, and up the high grassy banking I could see the Leeds players training. I went up the bank and watched them through the wire fencing trying to recognise as many faces as I could. I noticed a few of the regular first team weren't present, including Giraffe Neck Jack. The training eventually finished then the players filtered out through the gate, crossed the car park and went into the stadium opposite to shower and change.

When the players started to come out they came in dribs and drabs which made it easier for me to get their signatures. I still had to be sharp eyed and be on my toes though, because I amazingly was the only grapher there, meaning there was nobody there to hold them up. After all the players had gone, I had a quick flick through my folders and was very pleased that I had done well as regards the amount of autographs I had gotten. Turning towards the exit of the car park I was ready to head back to Leeds City Centre to scour the hotels in search of the Glasgow Celtic team.

Having walked a few yards I saw in front of me a group of four men in conversation. Three of these people were unknown to me, the fourth was Mr Jack Charlton. I waited at a polite distance from the group so they didn't think I was listening in to their chat. During their natter Mr Charlton gave me a quick wave to say he had recognised me. This pleased me and I knew that he would soon be signing my pics.

I didn't have a great deal of time on my hands because I needed to find out where Celtic were stopping. It wasn't every week Celtic played in Yorkshire so getting their "graphs" was paramount. Some minutes later the 3 blokes buggered off leaving Mr Charlton and me to get on with things.

Jack Charlton, who at the time was something like 6 inches taller than me greeted me firstly with that famous half moon crescenty smile of his, then secondly he gave me the usual quick tap on the left arm just below my shoulder. Whilst signing my stuff he told me he would only be playing for a short time tonight because he had a slight strain. On asking me if I was coming to the game I gave him the usual sob story about financial embarrassment (nudge nudge, wink wink). He told me which gate to go to just before the match and to say my name to the gateman. He told me he would pass my name on to the gateman sometime before the match. I was ecstatic, I just couldn't believe my luck. Near to the end of our short conversation I had another massive stroke of luck when he replied to my question, "Mr Charlton, do you know where Celtic are stopping?" "Yes Zakes, at The Swan Hotel, Harrogate."

On the train up to Harrogate I was sat thinking about the last time I was there. It had been in 1969 when Glasgow Rangers had played against Leeds United in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, and they had stayed at The Cairn Hotel. This was going to be my second and last time to visit Harrogate.

At The Swan Hotel I had a walk around looking for entrances and generally "casing the joint". I came upon a lawned area surrounded by tallish hedgerows. I found a gap and went through and sat on a bench in a secluded spot. I spent some minutes sorting through my Celtic pics trying to memorise which ones I wanted signing first. I was caught off guard when I heard voices up the lawn at the hotel end. A load of blokes had come out of the hotel wearing suits each with a badge on their jacket pockets, the Celtic players, out for a stroll.

After a few moments (seemed like ages) I had composed myself and was on my feet. I casually strolled towards the players, but with 3 negative thoughts going through my mind:-

1) Would the players sign for me?

2) I was the only "grapher", meaning I had nobody to hold them up

3) Would I get thrown off the premises?

My doubts had turned out to be unfounded because everybody was willing to sign. I felt as though I was on cloud nineteen (inflation) for this half hour or so, on the lawn of a Harrogate hotel under a pale May afternoon sun, with footballers seemingly forming an orderly queue to sign for me. The only snag was a polite no when I tried to catch a lift on the coach to Elland Road for the match.

Amazingly, Celtic had brought a strong squad of players to this testimonial including players who had just come for the ride. The persons I remember:-

A. Hunter, D. Hay, D. McGrain, B. Murdoch, B. McNeill, G. Connolly, P. McCluskey, J.Johnstone, S. Murray, K. Dalglish, T. Callaghan, B. Lennox, J. Brogan, H. Hood, J. Craig, T. Gemmell, J. Stein (Manager), B. Rooney (Trainer). Possibly more.

I was at the stadium in good time afore the match watching several "graphers" dancing about trying to get a graph or two. I must admit to having a smugger than smug smirk across my kisser whilst watching them.

I noticed Michael Parkinson and later Sean Connery going into the ground via the officials entrance.

Mr Charlton had kept his word from earlier, the gateman letting me in.

The match wasn't "a walk in the park". But almost full blooded with Celtic as victors by the odd goal in seven. The player I enjoyed watching was a young live wire Joe Jordan who came on as sub for Mick Jones.

There were loads of singing Scots on the train back to Sheffield.

I was 19 at the time.

Some of the autographs can be viewed on this thread.

Collecting Autographs 18.

If you have followed my advice from previous posts you will rarely have problems. Politeness and an open cheery face will generally get you the signatures you are wanting. Never get mardy, disheartened or smart bottomed because a player won't sign. Don't give in, just hang about and keep asking him in a nice friendly way, and you should get your reward in the end. If a player grudgingly signs your pics then gives you your pen back in an abrupt manner, you must still utter a polite thank you [don't roll your eyes] because you may need him to sign for you at a later date. Just because most footballers are thick gits, it doesn't mean they don't have the ability to remember faces. Not all players willingly sign autographs. This applies not just to Premier League and Championship players, but also to League 1 and 2 and Conference players. Be patient, because patience is an autograph collector's best friend, as indeed it is a police detective's.

Manchester United.

During my graphing career ['68-'75] I came across Man Utd players a boatload of times. Apart from one occasion when Alex Stepney refused to sign, I've had no snags I can recall.

The places I got Manchester United signatures were :

a. The Cliff, their training ground.

b. Davyhulme Golfcourse in Manchester where they luncheoned before their home matches.

c. The Grand Hotel, Sheffield where they luncheoned before playing at The United or at Sheffield 6

d. Manchester Piccadilly railway station Friday lunch time, setting off for an overnight stay in London before next day's match. Train left 13:00.

e. Manchester Piccadilly station, returning from their match on Saturday evening.

I will now give you 2 storyettes from the above examples.. D. and C.

D. It was Friday in '72 or '73 when three of us were attempting to get the 'graphs' of 3 teams, Man City, Man Utd and Stoke City. We managed to get 2 out of 3 which wasn't necessarily a bad result.

We arrived just after 11 o'clock at Maine Road, the home of Manchester City. About a half hour later the players started to arrive from training. We got some autographs of a few players before they went into the ground to get changed. I had expected the Man City players to be coming out in 20 minutes or so but it didn't turn out that way. They must have been having a team talk for the next day's match. We decided to wait a little longer and were rewarded when the players started to filter out to go to their cars in the car park.

We hadn't planned to stay at Man City's ground that long because we wanted to be at Piccadilly Station for Man Utd autographs. Man Utd were to be playing the following day in London. We had wanted a good 20 minutes on the platform with them before they boarded their train.

With the Man City players having faffed about earlier at Maine Road we were late at the station. We got to the platform less than ten minutes before departure, the Man Utd players were already on board. We also boarded. The players were already seated in the restaurant car ready to order. The train set off a few minutes later 13:00. We three got our annuals and folders and started to get our pics signed. After a few minutes one or two of the players objected to us being there, including the cigarette smoking Bobby Charlton [surprise eh?]. In such situations a seasoned grapher pretends not to hear objections and continues to get signatures, and that's what I did. My 2 fellow [inexperienced] graphers had already moved to the end of the carriage.

Just when it seemed we wouldn't get more autographs, the manager Mr. Tommy Docherty, who was sat at the far end of the carriage, got to his feet. I had always liked Mr. Docherty and a moment later I liked him even more. He came along the restaurant car and said, "Right boys, we [Man Utd] are going to be eating soon. You have 5 minutes to get your autographs, then you'll have to leave." He then gave us a smile and a wink then returned to his his seat. The 5 minutes became 10 minutes then we left them in peace. We had done well.

At Stoke we alit the train in good spirits, we also hadn't seen a ticket inspector either. Whilst we had been collecting the Man Utd autographs I had kept an eye open for an inspector because I had never travelled on that route before.

At the Victoria ground the place was deserted. We made a few enquiries and found out the Stoke City team had already set off for their away game in the morrow.

Back at Stoke station we purchased platform tickets to get onto the platform, and keep them for a future date. We then travelled back to Manchester, then Sheffield.

C. The Grand Hotel in Sheffield was situated on Balm Green and faced the City Hall. The hotel was a beautiful white imposing building 4 or 5 storeys high. The main entrance had sliding glass doors and a decent sized car park, surrounded by white walls 4ft odd high. The rear entrance of the hotel was on Leopold Street. To enter the hotel from the rear one would climb several [8] lush carpeted steps to reach a large revolving door. Alternatively, next to the revolving door was a glass door that could pushed or pulled open also to gain entry. However, at pavement level there were also some steps on the left that led down to a bar underneath the hotel. The bar that played rock music and where I spent many hours was called The Buccaneer. (You can check out other threads at SF about The Buccaneer). All in all The Grand Hotel looked like a building out of a Poirot mystery drama. Many famous people stayed over at this hotel that was closed in 1973, including The Beatles, Cliff Richard, Picasso and plenty of football team's including....

Manchester United stayed at this hotel when playing in Sheffield. The team coach usually arrived late morning for the players to luncheon, then rest afore setting off to the match. We always got plenty of autographs when the team alit the coach, and also when they came back out to set off to the game.

This next bit is the gospel truth

On one occasion in the late 60's early 70's when Man Utd were at The Grand Hotel there were 5 graphers including me waiting outside the main entrance for the team to arrive. When the coach arrived it pulled in to the car park, dropped the passengers off, then would park elsewhere because it was always quite cramped in the car park.

After the players had gone into the hotel, Rick who was the most experience grapher out of us 5, whispered something in my ear so that the others couldn't hear. (I mentioned in "Collecting Autographs 12) that graphers try to outwit each other. (Here is an example). Rick had whispered he could almost guarantee that we both could get a few George Best autographs without the other graphers knowing about it. Rick had had a similar experience in the past. We put his plan into action.

We told the other graphers we were going for some fags, then we nipped down Orchard Lane, a one-way street. I trusted Rick even though I was quite sceptical about his idea. Minutes later we were stood on Leopold Street directly at the bottom of the carpeted hotel steps. Not long after, the revolving door spun into action and George Best appeared. He came down the steps with a casual look about him and signed several pics for each of us. After signing for us Bestie then went down the steps into The Buccaneer bar. To say I was shocked is an understatement. 15 minutes or so later Best came back out and and we got some more pics signed. One can only guess whether George Best had gone in the "Bucc" for a drink, or perhaps a dance with Eva Rueber - Staier possibly a new barmaid or maybe both. LOL.

Rick was a very clever grapher who taught me loads of stuff. After Man Utd had left for the game Rick casually mentioned to the other graphers that we had met George Best on our way back from the fag shop. You should have seen their faces LOL.

• 8 years later...

It was a cool Friday evening in February 1971 as I waited for the Birmingham City team bus to arrive at The Hallam Tower Hotel. The hotel stood on Fulwood Road, and I believe built in 1965, as was the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield town centre, ready for the World Cup, in England. The Hallam Tower Hotel was owned at that time by Trust House Forte. I was often collecting autographs at this hotel,also at The Grosvenor, The Grand Hotel, and at The Royal Victoria Hotel.

The front car park was well illuminated as the Brum coach arrived at 19:30 approx. On this occasion I was by myself. I was to be joined by two other autograph collectors the next morning, Saturday...Match day. I could easily identify the players about to alight the team coach. I usually chose at random which players to get signed, but this time I decided to target Trevor Francis. The reason for this was I had a boat load of TF pics to be signed. TF had become popular because of his goal scoring feats in this, his first season, at the age of sixteen. All football mags had plenty of pics of TF in their editions at that time.

After TF had alit the coach I approached him, with a folder of pics in my hand. With pen offered to him, I asked him to sign. He seemed to be surprised on seeing all the pics I had for him to sign. We had a little natter while he was signing for me. The  16 year old fresh faced TF then picked up his sports bag and said thank you to me, which I found somewhat strange because I should have been the one to give thanks. I was glad to have all my TF pictures signed, because I could then concentrate on getting his team mates signed in the morning. I had plenty of Bob Latchford pics to be signed.

Brum drew 3-3 at Hillsborough the next day. Trevor only scored a brace in that game. Trevor made up for it 7 days later though. He scored a brace in each half in a game Birmingham City won versus Bolton Wanderers...4-0.  

So I claim to be the first person in Sheffield to speak with TF, also the first to get his signature. Big deal Wilbur, some will say, but the buzz of meeting players and getting their signatures is such a nice feeling.

I came across Trevor Francis a few more times over the next few seasons, until the end of 1975 season, when I stopped this addiction of collecting autographs. I had decided to chance my luck living and working in Europe...Always the adventurer. lol. Things had gotten somewhat stale for me in Sheffield, so I wanted a fresh challenge at the age of 21. I returned to Sheffield 17 years later, in 1992.

I last saw Trevor Francis on Cambridge Street, in Henry's Bar, or whatever it was called in 1993/4ish. His last address in Sheffield was Cortworth Road.

Hope you like the photos. Only some of the signed pics are from the above occasion in 1971.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4 Pic5 Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10 Pic11  

Rest peacefully Trevor John Francis.

31 minutes ago, zakes said:

It was a cool Friday evening in February 1971 as I waited for the Birmingham City team bus to arrive at The Hallam Tower Hotel. The hotel stood on Fulwood Road, and I believe built in 1965, as was the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield town centre, ready for the World Cup, in England. The Hallam Tower Hotel was owned at that time by Trust House Forte. I was often collecting autographs at this hotel,also at The Grosvenor, The Grand Hotel, and at The Royal Victoria Hotel.

The front car park was well illuminated as the Brum coach arrived at 19:30 approx. On this occasion I was by myself. I was to be joined by two other autograph collectors the next morning, Saturday...Match day. I could easily identify the players about to alight the team coach. I usually chose at random which players to get signed, but this time I decided to target Trevor Francis. The reason for this was I had a boat load of TF pics to be signed. TF had become popular because of his goal scoring feats in this, his first season, at the age of sixteen. All football mags had plenty of pics of TF in their editions at that time.

After TF had alit the coach I approached him, with a folder of pics in my hand. With pen offered to him, I asked him to sign. He seemed to be surprised on seeing all the pics I had for him to sign. We had a little natter while he was signing for me. The  16 year old fresh faced TF then picked up his sports bag and said thank you to me, which I found somewhat strange because I should have been the one to give thanks. I was glad to have all my TF pictures signed, because I could then concentrate on getting his team mates signed in the morning. I had plenty of Bob Latchford pics to be signed.

Brum drew 3-3 at Hillsborough the next day. Trevor only scored a brace in that game. Trevor made up for it 7 days later though. He scored a brace in each half in a game Birmingham City won versus Bolton Wanderers...4-0.  

So I claim to be the first person in Sheffield to speak with TF, also the first to get his signature. Big deal Wilbur, some will say, but the buzz of meeting players and getting their signatures is such a nice feeling.

I came across Trevor Francis a few more times over the next few seasons, until the end of 1975 season, when I stopped this addiction of collecting autographs. I had decided to chance my luck living and working in Europe...Always the adventurer. lol. Things had gotten somewhat stale for me in Sheffield, so I wanted a fresh challenge at the age of 21. I returned to Sheffield 17 years later, in 1992.

I last saw Trevor Francis on Cambridge Street, in Henry's Bar, or whatever it was called in 1993/4ish. His last address in Sheffield was Cortworth Road.

Hope you like the photos. Only some of the signed pics are from the above occasion in 1971.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4 Pic5 Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10 Pic11  

Rest peacefully Trevor John Francis.

Smashing that Zakes, Lots of Wednesday players used Henry's on Cambridge Street , I often saw T C in there , The real TC of course with the big Black Tash .