Katla, Iceland about to Erupt

The amount of ash Katla is likely to throw out - if it does indeed erupt - would make Eyjafjannajokull look like a small family barbecue.

I hope nobody was planning to fly anywhere for the next twelve months...

why not fly?

the problems caused by Eyjafjannajokull were a result of the rather unique chemical nature of the ash it produced and the prevailing weather.

should katla erupt with the same ferocity as previous recorded eruptions then it would undoubtably be a catastrophe for the people of iceland but maybe not so bad for the rest of the world

if Katla goes off, there could also be flank failure, and if that reaches the sea it creates the possibility of a tsunami down the Irish channel. I wonder how much planning went into all the Nuclear Reactors down that coast for a tsunami.

that seems rather unlikely, it's miles away from the coast

why not fly?

the problems caused by Eyjafjannajokull were a result of the rather unique chemical nature of the ash it produced and the prevailing weather.

should katla erupt with the same ferocity as previous recorded eruptions then it would undoubtably be a catastrophe for the people of iceland but maybe not so bad for the rest of the world

Magma underneath could possibly be the same, as they are practically next to each other, and I'd imagine they have the same magma reservoir.

Magma underneath could possibly be the same, as they are practically next to each other, and I'd imagine have the same magma reservoir.

They do indeed have the same magma reservoir; that's why the small one going off is almost always a precursor of Katla, the seriously big one, doing the same.

Essentially it would be the same ash, but a few hundred thousand times as much of it.

They do indeed have the same magma reservoir; that's why the small one going off is almost always a precursor of Katla, the seriously big one, doing the same.

Essentially it would be the same ash, but a few hundred thousand times as much of it.

possibly, but then again the other one erupted rather a long time which may or may not have relieved the pressure on the magma chamber

Archived