Katla, Iceland about to Erupt

an eruption in Africa this year created a 500 mile plume

I should have made myself clearer; I don't believe any volcanic plume could reach a hundred miles high. My statement, as it stands, is quite wrong because they can easily reach a hundred miles in downwind length once they start spreading.

They can, theoretically, reach virtually any distance in length from the volcano; that just depends on how long the volcano continues to erupt. A Katla plume a thousand miles long is a frightening thought; it could, if the winds were in the right direction, obliterate sunlight across large chunks of Britain for weeks at a time.

why not fly?

the problems caused by Eyjafjannajokull were a result of the rather unique chemical nature of the ash it produced and the prevailing weather.

should katla erupt with the same ferocity as previous recorded eruptions then it would undoubtably be a catastrophe for the people of iceland but maybe not so bad for the rest of the world

The people of Iceland seemed pretty relaxed about it when I was there a few weeks ago.

The people of Iceland seemed pretty relaxed about it when I was there a few weeks ago.

perhaps they are just putting on a brave face for the foreigners, the previous eruptions seem to have killed a large number of the population.

however, they are very used to dealing with these sorts of things and no doubt have contingency plans to deal with most circumstances.

perhaps also, they don't see quite the same need to turn into a quivering hysterical jelly like most people in britain do, and in such a situation hysteria would probably be the worst state to get into.

perhaps they are just putting on a brave face for the foreigners, the previous eruptions seem to have killed a large number of the population.

It's probably more a case of stoicism - either Katla will erupt this year or it won't, there's nothing anyone can possibly do about it, so just get on with life and deal with it when it happens.

Icelanders are very used to living with earthquakes, volcanoes, glaciers and other inhospitable items. They won't waste their life worrying about what they might have to cope with in the future.

Archived