Born at the wrong time.

I know loads of young, newly qualified nurses who would love my job. Why can't I leave in 2 years and let someone else have it?

Instead of them being on the dole, I could have their money in my pension!!

I really cannot understand the logic of having youngsters out of work whilst working old people to death as the two bitty boys are trying to do. It does not make sense.

Yes there is. I nominate you as leader.:)

I wouldn't know where to start! I have no knowledge of finance but it seems to me that if we were allowed to retire at a decent age instead of when we're knackered, the youngsters could have our jobs, come off the dole and their dole money could be used for our pensions...or is that too simplistic?

I wouldn't know where to start! I have no knowledge of finance but it seems to me that if we were allowed to retire at a decent age instead of when we're knackered, the youngsters could have our jobs, come off the dole and their dole money could be used for our pensions...or is that too simplistic?

I really am baffled .

But weren't folk born in 1950 faced with leaving school at 15, 66% purchase tax, rationing and huge taxes to pay off the war debt? They probably paid far more of their income into the pot compared to what they take out than folks who didn't start work until they were 23 and expect to be drawing a pension for 10 years longer.

But weren't folk born in 1950 faced with leaving school at 15, 66% purchase tax, rationing and huge taxes to pay off the war debt? They probably paid far more of their income into the pot compared to what they take out than folks who didn't start work until they were 23 and expect to be drawing a pension for 10 years longer.

What are you on?

I was born in 54. School leaving age was 15- I stayed on until 16 to get O levels for nursing.

I started work age 14 with a Saturday job in Castle Market, and am still working!

Where do you get 23 as a starting age from?

I've even brought my child up on my own and claimed NO benefits.

Think I've paid into the pot long enough to have a break now that I'm nearly as old, as old and sometimes older than the people I'm lugging about!

I was born in 54. School leaving age was 15- I stayed on until 16 to get O levels for nursing.

I started work age 14 with a Saturday job in Castle Market, and am still working!

Where do you get 23 as a starting age from?

I've even brought my child up on my own and claimed NO benefits.

Think I've paid into the pot long enough to have a break now that I'm nearly as old, as old and sometimes older than the people I'm lugging about!

I am agreeing with you. It is people who were born a lot later that are starting work at 23 and moaning about their pensions.

I thankfully retired early at 58 so that I could help to look after my Mum who had alzheimer's. That's another thing that many women have to do in later years look after ageing parents as well as the grand kids. . It's all very well thinking that you will always feel fit and well and I know many people will be able to do their jobs but manual work gets harder with age. I don't think that it should be compulsory to work extra years for a pension but a personal choice that if you feel able and want to work you can continue. How about letting them work part time and skilled workers could maybe pass their skills on to today's unemployed. Of course we all know that it's a ploy to kill people off early though so we should all feel very sorry for those born in the 70s and 80s who will have to work until they die and not even get a pension.:rant:

Archived