Born at the wrong time.

I agree, but the whole issue for me is not how long people have to work but the fact that some physical jobs are going to be nigh on impossible to do when people are older.

It'll be great when 68 year old nurse has a heart attack when she's rushing to a cardiac arrest and dragging a bloody great resus trolley with her.

Fine for a 68 year old teacher trying to look after a class of 5 year olds.

How about a 68 year old roofer tottering along the tiles or a 68 year old copper running after an 18 year old shoplifter?

All while 18-40 year olds are consigned to the dole queue waiting for one of the workers to drop dead on the job.

I agree too with regards to age and ability, some jobs are potentially very risky for older people to do, health and fitness pending of course, but the future is so uncertain at the moment is it worth worrying about ? No one knows what to do to get things going again, it really is a problem when even the Germans are stuck for solutions ;) I reckon a benefits swapshop needs setting up, voluntarily of course where possible, over 60 and wanting/affording to retire to allow a young unemployed person to take their place in the workplace :thumbsup:

I agree too with regards to age and ability, some jobs are potentially very risky for older people to do, health and fitness pending of course, but the future is so uncertain at the moment is it worth worrying about ? No one knows what to do to get things going again, it really is a problem when even the Germans are stuck for solutions ;) I reckon a benefits swapshop needs setting up, voluntarily of course where possible, over 60 and wanting/affording to retire to allow a young unemployed person to take their place in the workplace :thumbsup:

OOOhhh...sign me up!:hihi:

Problem is if you're made redundant when you're older what chance is there of getting another job in the same profession?

A friend of mine has been teaching for about 25 years and was made redundant as assistant head 2 years ago. She's been to countless interviews - all promising her the job. But on the day they go for a newly qualified because the wages they pay will be lower than what they'd have to pay my friend. She's been supply teaching for the past 2 years as it's all she can get, and only been getting work 1 or 2 days per week this term.

She'll be 67 or 68 before she can retire now, but she feels unemployable in her profession already at 51 even with all her experience and qualifications.

I envisage this whole generation will end up losing their jobs that they trained hard for when they are no longer up to the job and having to take unskilled low paid jobs until they can retire, or end up on the dole.

that bad are they:(

lol...no. They are great kids.

One works weekends as a first responder while she's at college and my grandson had a holiday job this year.

They've both got good work ethics but I fear the jobs won't be there for them when they leave education.

lol...no. They are great kids.

One works weekends as a first responder while she's at college and my grandson had a holiday job this year.

They've both got good work ethics but I fear the jobs won't be there for them when they leave education.

But theyve got the attitude to put em a head of the pack thats the main thing, cudos on the first responder thing, i may have met her.

Archived