Law for University

Slapper and Kelly is a good introductory law book, as is Elliott and Quinn's English Legal System - they are both commonly used by undergraduates. You don't need both as they cover the same ground.

Zander's The Law Making Process is also good for adding context to the rules laid out in the first two.

You can get them all in the Blackwell's just off West Street (Mappin Street?) - go in and have a flick through and see which you prefer

If you need to ask that question, it makes me wonder if you are cut out to be a lawyer, you will have plenty of research to do, and facts to find, which will be much more difficult than the one you have asked for help with.

Why's that?

Many reasons, not least that it's nothing at all like people imagine in terms of job expectations, salary (unless you make partner), and you are subjected to abuse from clients who are able to accuse you of anything they like, publicly, and if you try to respond, you're considered dishonest. That's not to mention that the job makes you generally disliked by the public. Hey ho! :)

Many reasons, not least that it's nothing at all like people imagine in terms of job expectations, salary (unless you make partner), and you are subjected to abuse from clients who are able to accuse you of anything they like, publicly, and if you try to respond, you're considered dishonest. That's not to mention that the job makes you generally disliked by the public. Hey ho! :)

Come on we've all seen Neighbours. When Toadie's not in the pub he's at home relaxing. Looks sweet to me

Come on we've all seen Neighbours. When Toadie's not in the pub he's at home relaxing. Looks sweet to me

I only took law as I thought it'd be like Ally McBeal. Massive salary and limited cases (one at a time for Ally!). Sadly it seems to be the opposite, or at least it's gone that way over the last 15 years. Ah well.

I only took law as I thought it'd be like Ally McBeal. Massive salary and limited cases (one at a time for Ally!). Sadly it seems to be the opposite, or at least it's gone that way over the last 15 years. Ah well.

She was anorexic and seemed ill most of the time.Hardly a fat salary then!

I would contact the faculty of the university (s) that you are applying for and ask if they can supply a suggested list of books - I wouldn't buy any because the course content may change. You might consider writing to local firms of solicitors and asking for an opportunity to shadow someone for a few days in different departments (criminal/family/employment etc) so that you can get a flavour of what it is like in the real world and not on t.v.

You could also contact the barristers who work in the area and ask the same. As has been mentioned the reality is far removed from the picture painted on the small screen. If you had any plans to embark on a career in publicly funded work -family/crime - I would ask those doing that type of work if there is in the future a career after the government has finished cutting the fees paid - which in crime amount to 30% plus !

Archived