Law for University

I would contact the faculty of the university (s) that you are applying for and ask if they can supply a suggested list of books - I wouldn't buy any because the course content may change. You might consider writing to local firms of solicitors** and asking for an opportunity to shadow someone for a few days in different departments (criminal/family/employment etc) so that you can get a flavour of what it is like in the real world and not on t.v.

You could also contact the barristers who work in the area and ask the same. As has been mentioned the reality is far removed from the picture painted on the small screen. If you had any plans to embark on a career in publicly funded work -family/crime - I would ask those doing that type of work if there is in the future a career after the government has finished cutting the fees paid - which in crime amount to 30% plus !

** Yes, this is by far the best advice to OP so far.

Archived