Annoying pop ups on Sheffield Forum.

Is anyone else getting an annoying pop up on SF?

Adverts are Ok but I keep getting an annoying flashing advert for Iphones.

When I click the corner x to shut it down it goes full screen and starts a dialogue.

To me that goes way beyond acceptable advertising.

When I click the corner x to shut it down it goes full screen and starts a dialogue.

Yes, I've just seen that one. It isn't a pop-up, as such; it's just an annoyingly misleading ad: the 'x' close button is actually part of the ad itself so, as you discovered, if you click on it you open up the ad.

Me too, not acceptable

I started a thread about this yesterday. The AD has annoyed a lot of people. The thread has disappeared however. My guess is that SF cannot get rid of the advert.

if its in their ad rotation software, its as simple as deleting the call header url that they are issued with, if your thread was deleted then it sounds like this site knows about it and are choosing to ignore the problem

if its in their ad rotation software, its as simple as deleting the call header url that they are issued with, if your thread was deleted then it sounds like this site knows about it and are choosing to ignore the problem

My thread certainly disappeared after a few other people answered it and also complained about the AD. As you say SF obviously know about it.

Here's the ad.

Here's what you get when you click on the 'x'. For me, the ad opened in another tab.

You'll notice that the 'winner' appears to reside in Leicester. That's probably a function of my ISP whatsit being in Leicester; someone connecting to a Sheffield-based ISP server will likely have that as the previous winner's location.

My thread certainly disappeared after a few other people answered it and also complained about the AD. As you say SF obviously know about it.

It doesn't necessarily follow that the right people know about it. They do now, because I've just reported it. I can't do anything about the ads as a Moderator, the Admin team need to know.

It would help if such things were reported in future. In this case, I read the thread yesterday and noticed the new thread today. So, it is just luck that I've seen it and reported it.

Archived